What's Happening at Brand: The Week of May 5, 2024!

New to Bonanza Brand? 
Guests and Non-Members only see a very limited portion of this site. 
Become a Member to see and participate in all the fun.

Please read our Forum Guidelines and the How to pages.

Pernell Roberts Birthday Week Activities

Reminder Regarding the Posting of Images

Preserving Their Legacy in the Bonanza Brand Fanfiction Library
~~~~~

Check out the growing list of early-era authors added.

Join us in the VCLS Writing Challenges 
Try your hand at Writing a Pinecone or a Double Drabble

Movie Posters: Bonanza-style ~ Dialogue: Bonanza-style 
Commercials: Bonanza-style
Olympics:  Bonanza-style ~ Caption This: Bonanza-style
Set, Wardrobe, Props, and Oops!

If you find a feature in the Forums or Library not working correctly or
receive an error message, let us know in Tech Help in The Branding Room 
or e:mail:  Brandsters2020@gmail.com

2024 Chinese New Year Activities

Brandsters

Brandsters

image.png

Image from Freepik

In honor of Hop Sing's heritage, Bonanza Brand celebrates the Lunar New Year.  To celebrate 2024's Year of the Dragon, we will be featuring "The Day of the Dragon" (Season 3, Episode 11) from February 10 through February 24 in the Bonanza Discussion Boards>Episode Discussions.

In addition, beginning February 10 you can:

Badges awarded for each type of contribution.

Also, on February 23 we will have a Dragon Chat in our Slack Channel.  Channel will be open an extended period of time to accommodate all time zones.  Invitations to join Slack will be sent to those who request access.  Watch the Announcement Banner for a link to the Dragon Chat announcement.

image.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brandsters said:

image.png

Image from Freepik

In honor of Hop Sing's heritage, Bonanza Brand celebrates the Lunar New Year.  To celebrate 2024's Year of the Dragon, we will be featuring "The Day of the Dragon" (Season 3, Episode 11) from February 10 through February 24 in the Bonanza Discussion Boards>Episode Discussions.

In addition, beginning February 10 you can:

Badges awarded for each type of contribution.

Also, on February 23 we will have a Dragon Chat in our Slack Channel.  Channel will be open an extended period of time to accommodate all time zones.  Invitations to join Slack will be sent to those who request access.  Watch the Announcement Banner for a link to the Dragon Chat announcement.

image.png

Wonderful idea.  Actually I had already introduced the thread Hop Sing's Recipes many years ago already.  For several months there was a good response to the topic but then it fizzled out.

After many years (decades!) I'm still looking for a certain Chinese pastry which still eludes me.  I remember eating it in the 1960s and still wish I could find it again. What makes it hard to find is because it did not have any filling. Nowadays when I search in Chinatown, all of their buns have beans in them. But the one I remember eating had no beans in them at all, no filling at all.  Some of the members on this forum have tried to help me find it but to no avail.

• Like 2

Fun!

Both of my sisters-in-law are in their home countries—Malaysia and China—right now. They’ll be with family for Lunar New Year. It’ll be my toddler nephew’s first New Year in China and with his maternal grandparents. 

@AC1830 I was lazy pulling it out and it fell ,it was old, old old, a student who lives in second hand books stores found it. I got that and a copy of Pickwick papers for Christmas ,a few years back. Pages all over the place ,now I have to put them in order. Hop Sing's cookbook-Hop Sing's book of cards.:mad:

• Sad 3

HarpistforHim
On 2/3/2024 at 1:48 PM, AC1830 said:

I have it too and had the same idea.

I didn't know there was a cookbook. Do you know if it's still available for purchase somewhere? My two little brothers are Chinese and I think they would love something like that. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HarpistforHim said:

I didn't know there was a cookbook. Do you know if it's still available for purchase somewhere? My two little brothers are Chinese and I think they would love something like that. :)

I got mine as a gift a few years ago. It's really nice. He talks about veggies, utensils, cooking methods, and then there are all the recipes. Hope you can find one for your brothers. 

• Like 1

Wasn't there a Bonanza episode where Hop Sing ALMOST got married?  I remember watching it on YouTube.  I want to watch it again but don't remember the title. Hopefully somebody can provide its title.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dice said:

Wasn't there a Bonanza episode where Hop Sing ALMOST got married?  I remember watching it on YouTube.  I want to watch it again but don't remember the title. Hopefully somebody can provide its title.

The Lonely Man 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 12:31 PM, HarpistforHim said:

I got this years ago on Thriftbooks:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/victor-sen-yungs-great-wok-cookbook---from-hop-sing-the-chinese-cook-in-the-bonanza-tv-series_victor-sen-yung/369073/#idiq=1500274&edition=683936

I'm not sure how it works; every time I go to the page I get different costs, so maybe it's like ebay and it just sets up the sale. When I got it, it was under $25, and once I applied a discount code that I found on the internet, it ended up $18.

No photos, but it has drawings. Here's the table of contents:

Contents.JPEG

There is an extensive index in the back. The book is about 6x9" and about an inch thick.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ElayneA said:

@Dice It is a sad but very enjoyable episode..I won't say more as I will spoil it.

No spoiler alert was necessary because I already saw the episode. Looks like the Cartwright-curse hit Hop Sing too!

• Like 2

Living in Honolulu as I do, the area of Chinatown is a few minutes from me, so I sometimes partake of the lunar festivities.  It seems that there's always a Palm-reader at those festivities so I wonder if that's part of the lunar tradition.  Because I have the book The Book Of Chinese Beliefs written by Frena Bloomfield in which her first-hand research shows that even the Chinese Buddhist temples usually have a resident Palm reader.  In fact, my understanding is that Palmistry originated from China, so it's not surprising at all that it's so widely acceptable there.

• Like 1

This recipe reminded me of The Last Hunt-S1,E15.Where Hoss tried to make Little Joe eat the Mesquite.Yummy. Hop Sing would agree with Hoss ,but probably would have  made it taste better. 

Hop Sing"No 2, son no cook."

:joe:'"No.2 son tried doing in No.3 son."

:hoss:"Hop Sing ,I have some of that Dried Fungus Soup."

:joe:'Blah."

Hop Sing."No.3 son rude,you eat cow's food."

:hoss:":laugh::laugh::laugh:"

Soup.pngInsert Hop.png

• Funny 1