Jump to content

What's Happening at Brand: Week January 17, 2021!!

Looking for Your 'Go To' Character Centric Stories in the Bonanza Brand Fanfiction Library

New Forums:  The Cartwrights - Family & Friends and Set, Wardrobe, Props, and Oops
 

Upcoming Challenge Deadlines:   Better Late than Never and Parody Challenge
 

2021 Writing Challenges Calendar


New to Bonanza Brand?  Checkout our Forum Guidelines and  How to pages.

The First Time We Met The Cartwrights


Recommended Posts

BluewindFarm

Introduced in pairs, individually, or in a group before we met the whole family in A Rose for Lotta.

 

A Rose for Lotta - Ben & Adam.JPG 

Look at it Adam. Feast thine eyes on a site that approaches Heaven itself.  (Ben)

You've been to a lot of places and seen a lot of things, Pa, but you've never seen a bit of Heaven.  (Adam)

 

A Rose for Lotta - Hoss.JPG

Whoa.  Abigail you stand real still, ya hear?  You listen to Hoss.

 

A Rose for Lotta - Fencing.JPG

Eventually we learned, You never know when I might want to use it.

 

A Rose for Lotta - Family.JPG

Yell  Yell  Why you all the time have to yell?  (Hop Sing)

Why do I have to yell?!  (Ben)

I go.  I go away now.  (Hop Sing)

 

 

Little did we know what adventures would follow.

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny, I never noticed that we see them separately first. It gave us a chance to see the uniqueness of the individuals before they came together as the Cartwright family (which was another character in and of itself). 

 

When Hop Sing entered, we knew exactly where he fit in to the family. Lol, he kept them all in line! :hearts:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was also a way to show the roles of each son in a brief amount of time. Adam is his father’s right-hand man (even though he’s to Ben’s left), Hoss is the critter man/mechanic, and Joe is the indulged, carefree youngest son. Then Hop Sing appears so we know these 4 bachelors aren’t dependent on their own cooking. :lol: 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Conny1971
3 minutes ago, patina said:

It was also a way to show the roles of each son in a brief amount of time. Adam is his father’s right-hand man (even though he’s to Ben’s left), Hoss is the critter man/mechanic, and Joe is the indulged, carefree youngest son. Then Hop Sing appears so we know these 4 bachelors aren’t dependent on their own cooking. :lol: 

That´s interesting. I never thought about it that way. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
SJRCartwright

Things sure changed from that rough first episode, A Rose for Lotta!  And am I glad.  In the beginning, a bit godlike, Ben is the hawk-eyed, patriarch; master of all he surveys - all strength and grit.  Adam, the Prince of the Ponderosa, mature and virile with a thin veneer of cold civility over a ready passion, always in the vanguard of whatever adventure assails the family, and the established ladies man of the family.  Hoss, forever Hoss, a strong man; a kind mind with a ready smile and a twinkle in his eyes; a lover of sweet young fillies - even if they give him nothing but troublle, he is always staunchly in support of his family.  Joe, perhaps a teenager still, but a witty young man, a bit filled with himself; all those youthful male hormones bubbling up and ready to spill over into manhood.  Duels, gunfights, fistfights, crashing of windows, mad gallops in pursuit of all things threatening to the Ponderosa - all the action elements any western should have.  By about mid-season, there is some mellowing as the Cartwrights begin to take their place as strong supports of the budding Virginia City and the Comstock Lode.  But, I am glad, really glad, the "original" ending with the Cartwrights singing and yipping like loco coyotes as they ride off into the night to return to the Testastarosa was cut!  

 

But I loved the first episode - and the last.  Bonanza will always be Bonanza.  The show "grew up" along with its fans.  And now, as then, we are all members of the Cartwright clan.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, patina said:

critter man/mechanic,


Hee. I like it. :hoss:

 

Yes, they were rough at first (both the Cs and the actors - no matter how good an actor is, the first few times playing a new character do tend to be that way) ... but they would *be* rough, men out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a prospecting tent-camp for civilization. Fortunately for us, they managed to shake out a good number of those rough bits and started cranking out a show worth watching!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Conny1971
45 minutes ago, PSW said:


Hee. I like it. :hoss:

 

Yes, they were rough at first (both the Cs and the actors - no matter how good an actor is, the first few times playing a new character do tend to be that way) ... but they would *be* rough, men out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a prospecting tent-camp for civilization. Fortunately for us, they managed to shake out a good number of those rough bits and started cranking out a show worth watching!

Oh I like some of the rough bits. But I am glad they changed some of the character traits, too, especially for Hoss. That scene when he first sees Lotta. He looks as if he wants to eat her and if he is a bit stupid. And we all know that's not true

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched ARFL fairly recently and completely out of order from the rest of the eps and the version I saw on YouTube had them riding off into the distance yahooing loudly! :yuck: I did enjoy watching it, just for the novalty really, but they were so unrecognisable it was hard to have any warm feelings for the characters at all.  I watched some episodes years ago but, because I hadn't really become invested in the characters yet, the eps didn't mean that much to me, it's only in the last 18 months or so, as I've really got to KNOW the characters, but I've fallen completely in love with the show, but I don't think I could have done that if I'd started off by watching from S1.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Conny1971 said:

Oh I like some of the rough bits. But I am glad they changed some of the character traits, too, especially for Hoss. That scene when he first sees Lotta. He looks as if he wants to eat her and if he is a bit stupid. And we all know that's not true


Yes, that’s the kind of thing I primarily mean. Totally agree....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Oxgirl said:

I watched ARFL fairly recently and completely out of order from the rest of the eps and the version I saw on YouTube had them riding off into the distance yahooing loudly! :yuck: I did enjoy watching it, just for the novalty really, but they were so unrecognisable it was hard to have any warm feelings for the characters at all.  I watched some episodes years ago but, because I hadn't really become invested in the characters yet, the eps didn't mean that much to me, it's only in the last 18 months or so, as I've really got to KNOW the characters, but I've fallen completely in love with the show, but I don't think I could have done that if I'd started off by watching from S1.


Honestly, I’ve seen only a few eps from Seasons 1-2. Some of them have been good (Annie O’Toole was a fantastic ep), some okay, but some of them I just can’t take. I tend to stick to Season 3 and beyond ...

  • Like 2
  • I agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never noticed that we view them all separately before we see them as a whole. Now that I think of it, I think there's other shows and even movies (although at 5am, my midnight brain can't remember which ones) that do this same thing. It lets us get to know the characters before the chaos of them being in a group and they get into the action of the plot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 11:14 AM, SJRCartwright said:

Things sure changed from that rough first episode, A Rose for Lotta!  And am I glad.  In the beginning, a bit godlike, Ben is the hawk-eyed, patriarch; master of all he surveys - all strength and grit.  Adam, the Prince of the Ponderosa, mature and virile with a thin veneer of cold civility over a ready passion, always in the vanguard of whatever adventure assails the family, and the established ladies man of the family.  Hoss, forever Hoss, a strong man; a kind mind with a ready smile and a twinkle in his eyes; a lover of sweet young fillies - even if they give him nothing but troublle, he is always staunchly in support of his family.  Joe, perhaps a teenager still, but a witty young man, a bit filled with himself; all those youthful male hormones bubbling up and ready to spill over into manhood.  Duels, gunfights, fistfights, crashing of windows, mad gallops in pursuit of all things threatening to the Ponderosa - all the action elements any western should have.  By about mid-season, there is some mellowing as the Cartwrights begin to take their place as strong supports of the budding Virginia City and the Comstock Lode.  But, I am glad, really glad, the "original" ending with the Cartwrights singing and yipping like loco coyotes as they ride off into the night to return to the Testastarosa was cut!  

 

But I loved the first episode - and the last.  Bonanza will always be Bonanza.  The show "grew up" along with its fans.  And now, as then, we are all members of the Cartwright clan.

Insightful observations!

 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:14 AM, SJRCartwright said:

Things sure changed from that rough first episode, A Rose for Lotta!  And am I glad.  In the beginning, a bit godlike, Ben is the hawk-eyed, patriarch; master of all he surveys - all strength and grit.  Adam, the Prince of the Ponderosa, mature and virile with a thin veneer of cold civility over a ready passion, always in the vanguard of whatever adventure assails the family, and the established ladies man of the family.  Hoss, forever Hoss, a strong man; a kind mind with a ready smile and a twinkle in his eyes; a lover of sweet young fillies - even if they give him nothing but troublle, he is always staunchly in support of his family.  Joe, perhaps a teenager still, but a witty young man, a bit filled with himself; all those youthful male hormones bubbling up and ready to spill over into manhood.  Duels, gunfights, fistfights, crashing of windows, mad gallops in pursuit of all things threatening to the Ponderosa - all the action elements any western should have.  By about mid-season, there is some mellowing as the Cartwrights begin to take their place as strong supports of the budding Virginia City and the Comstock Lode.  But, I am glad, really glad, the "original" ending with the Cartwrights singing and yipping like loco coyotes as they ride off into the night to return to the Testastarosa was cut!  

 

But I loved the first episode - and the last.  Bonanza will always be Bonanza.  The show "grew up" along with its fans.  And now, as then, we are all members of the Cartwright clan.

 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:14 AM, SJRCartwright said:

Things sure changed from that rough first episode, A Rose for Lotta!  And am I glad.  In the beginning, a bit godlike, Ben is the hawk-eyed, patriarch; master of all he surveys - all strength and grit.  Adam, the Prince of the Ponderosa, mature and virile with a thin veneer of cold civility over a ready passion, always in the vanguard of whatever adventure assails the family, and the established ladies man of the family.  Hoss, forever Hoss, a strong man; a kind mind with a ready smile and a twinkle in his eyes; a lover of sweet young fillies - even if they give him nothing but troublle, he is always staunchly in support of his family.  Joe, perhaps a teenager still, but a witty young man, a bit filled with himself; all those youthful male hormones bubbling up and ready to spill over into manhood.  Duels, gunfights, fistfights, crashing of windows, mad gallops in pursuit of all things threatening to the Ponderosa - all the action elements any western should have.  By about mid-season, there is some mellowing as the Cartwrights begin to take their place as strong supports of the budding Virginia City and the Comstock Lode.  But, I am glad, really glad, the "original" ending with the Cartwrights singing and yipping like loco coyotes as they ride off into the night to return to the Testastarosa was cut!  

 

But I loved the first episode - and the last.  Bonanza will always be Bonanza.  The show "grew up" along with its fans.  And now, as then, we are all members of the Cartwright clan.

Insightful observations!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...