Bonanza Season 11 DVD

8 hours ago, jfclover said:

It better have The Scream.

Do you think it will?  I would be surprised.  I hope, if it does, that some kind and sharing soul will put it on YouTube for the rest of us!! :blush:

TudorGirl9

I believe they are referring to the episode A Matter of Circumstance. I believe when the episode first aired there was a loud scream that happened after Little Joe got kicked by the horse. I have never heard it as I believe they edited out on tv broadcasting since it sounds traumatizing.

Conny1971
7 minutes ago, TudorGirl9 said:

I believe they are referring to the episode A Matter of Circumstance. I believe when the episode first aired there was a loud scream that happened after Little Joe got kicked by the horse. I have never heard it as I believe they edited out on tv broadcasting since it sounds traumatizing.

Okay. I have to look at my DVD's if I have it. But I am sure the US DVD's will have it if it comes out. 

45 minutes ago, Conny1971 said:

Okay. I have to look at my DVD's if I have it. But I am sure the US DVD's will have it if it comes out. 

Sadly, it's not on the German DVD's.  

While digitally remastering the original sound track for syndication in 1988, NBC had the unearthly scream by Michael muted out of the soundtrack, on both US versions from Family Channel and Goodlife TV Network.

This may have been in due to Pat Robertson, who owned The Family Channel, and who was an ultra-conservative and ex-Baptist minister.  Pat Robertson would censor any program that his extreme Christian beliefs opposed, and this included several Bonanza eps that he refused to show.

• Thank You! 1
  • Sad 2
Conny1971
9 minutes ago, Bakerj said:

Sadly, it's not on the German DVD's.  

While digitally remastering the original sound track for syndication in 1988, NBC had the unearthly scream by Michael muted out of the soundtrack, on both US versions from Family Channel and Goodlife TV Network.

This may have been in due to Pat Robertson, who owned The Family Channel, and who was an ultra-conservative and ex-Baptist minister.  Pat Robertson would censor any program that his extreme Christian beliefs opposed, and this included several Bonanza eps that he refused to show.

Than I hope for you that it's on the US DVD's. I hate it when they cut things out or don't show an episode at all. 

TudorGirl9

Being a member of the younger generation fan group (I'm 25) I have been deprived of hearing "the scream". I guess I will be in for a surprise in October. Was the episode The Wish an episode Pat Robertson refused to show too? I didn't see that one until the season 10 dvd came out.

• Confused 1
50 minutes ago, TudorGirl9 said:

Was the episode The Wish an episode Pat Robertson refused to show too?

23 minutes ago, jfclover said:

He wouldn't show The Pursued and he cut scenes from Forever.

I'm not sure about The Wish.

He censored 5 Eps:

Season 8  "The Pursued"   The two-parter was censored.  Robertson objected to the storyline of polygamy.

Season 13's   "Second Sight"   and "The Strange One."  Roberson didn't like the theme of clairvoyants.  In the eyes of Robertson's, to Christians a clairvoyant is  a witch and a disciple of Satan.

also Season 13's  "A Visit to Upright."  Robertson didn't like the painting and in his mind, it was a negative factor that could be linked with sexual overtones and lustful desire, which is a sin.

The final example of their censoring was applied to S14's "Forever."  Where they cut a scene.

IMO, any of these hacked up episodes for The Family Channel should not be used for the DVD's.  They shoud return to the original source material.

• Like 1
TudorGirl9

I knew about "The Pursued" I don't believe I had even saw that episode until I bought seasons 1-8 earlier last year and watched them from the beginning. I've only seen "Forever" once but I've heard of a scene cut from there was Doc Martin telling Ben that there was a possibility Joe could get hooked on Laudanum as a way to deal with his grief. Correct me if I'm wrong though.  

TudorGirl9
13 hours ago, Cheaux said:

It may not ultimately be his decision, but I hope he was able to bring pressure to bear on those that did.

Do you think it even exists anymore anywhere?  Maybe it's been completely lost, never to be heard again. :cry:

• Sad 1
On 9/5/2020 at 12:55 PM, Bakerj said:

I've been reliably informed that the original ep still exists with the  scream intact.  But I'm not holding by breath for it to be on the new DVD.  

I thought this statement was quite hopeful, though, as it sounds like the dvd's are from the original film, so surely (might, maybe, perhaps) contain it: 

"....classic episodes (e.g., "The Stalker," "Dead Wrong," "Caution: Easter Bunny Crossing," "A Matter of Circumstance") all complete and full-length, newly restored and remastered from original 35mm film elements for superior picture and sound (so they look and sound like they were filmed yesterday)",

• Like 1
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.