Two of a kind: My first heart throbs

Oldefan

When I was a kid of about 10, I fell in love with an actor called William Russell who played the part of Sir Lancelot in a children's TV show.  Later my attention was

drawn to Pernell Roberts as Adam Cartwright.  They have a lot in common.  Like Pernell, William did a lot of theatre, including Shakespeare.  He also appeared in

TV adaptations of Dickens, as David Copperfield and Nicholas Nickleby.  In the early 60s he starred in the earliest episodes of Doctor Who, as one of the

Doctor's helpers. I found it very amusing when Adam met a man dressed as King Arthur, who was Lancelot's boss at Camelot.  Even funnier was the fact that Pernell

had played King Arthur on stage in the musical, Camelot.  

They were both very handsome men, with lovely dimples.  I just seem to fall for the same type.

PDVD_012.JPGPDVD_008.JPG

Pernell as Adam Cartwright                                                                                                William as Sir Lancelot

PDVD_062.JPGPDVD_012.JPG

Do any other members always fall for the same type?

• Like 5

Fun topic, Oldefan.  I had to have a good think about this, and try and remember those actors who were my first heart throbs.  

I remember at 13 adoring, The Quest. It wasn't dark haired, Tim Matheson (our Griff), that caught my eye, however, but his brother played by the ever gorgeous, Kurt Russell.

01 (9) 2.JPG

As well as Bonanza re-runs, I used to watch Rawhide.  So Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates got my attention.

01 (9) 1.JPG

In the late 70's we also have a great sci-fi show, 'Blake's 7' over here, and I had a bit of a crush on the show's 'bad boy' Avon (played by the late Paul Darrow).

01 (9) 1.JPG

and then there was Joe...

01 (4) 1.jpg

I've concluded that I don't seem to have a particular type, dimples etc., other than the eyes are always what draw me in first.  :laugh:

• Like 4

What I've noticed about growing up and my crushes, is that I always seemed to be drawn to the smallest character in any show.  Maybe because I was the youngest of three and very small for my age, I always liked the smaller guy!  Maybe the smallest just seemed youngest and cutest to me and I could relate to them, dunno. :laugh:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bakerj said:

In the late 70's we also have a great sci-fi show, 'Blake's 7' over here, and I had a bit of a crush on the show's 'bad boy' Avon (played by the late Paul Darrow).

Haha, Blake's 7, never could work out what the heck was going on in that programme! :laugh:

• Haha 1
southplains
6 hours ago, Bakerj said:

Fun topic, Oldefan.  I had to have a good think about this, and try and remember those actors who were my first heart throbs.  

I remember at 13 adoring, The Quest. It wasn't dark haired, Tim Matheson (our Griff), that caught my eye, however, but his brother played by the ever gorgeous, Kurt Russell.

01 (9) 2.JPG

Oh, heavens, YES!!! :faint::faint::faint: I was heartbroken when they didn't renew that series. I could have watched Kurt Russell play that character for years. Kidnapped by Indians as a child and reunited with his family years later---oh, my goodness, that character was MADE for so much lovely angst! I so wish the story had continued.

• I agree 1
3 hours ago, southplains said:

Oh, heavens, YES!!! :faint::faint::faint: I was heartbroken when they didn't renew that series. I could have watched Kurt Russell play that character for years. Kidnapped by Indians as a child and reunited with his family years later---oh, my goodness, that character was MADE for so much lovely angst! I so wish the story had continued.

Yes, but the big question is, did they ever find their sister??!!!  We never got to watch the last ep of the series, because there was a power cut in the UK (rife at the time!) and they never did show the last ep again.  Please, please, put me (and my sister) out of my misery, did they ever find her?? :surprise:

southplains
1 hour ago, Oxgirl said:

Yes, but the big question is, did they ever find their sister??!!!  We never got to watch the last ep of the series, because there was a power cut in the UK (rife at the time!) and they never did show the last ep again.  Please, please, put me (and my sister) out of my misery, did they ever find her?? :surprise:

Not before the series was cancelled. :sad:

• Sad 2
6 hours ago, southplains said:

Gutted is too mild a word to how I felt when the show ended.  One season was definitely not enough of long haired Kurt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
16 hours ago, Bakerj said:

01 (9) 1.JPG

We had Blake’s 7 on Public Television when I was in high school. I had a big crush on Avon, too. 

My American crushes:

I was 8 when Star Wars came out but Han Solo made my little heart pitter patter faster.

1-CECAEFC-4-DF6-40-A6-93-AE-3-FA28397001

Luke was my favorite Duke on “The Dukes of Hazzard.” All the other girls liked Bo. 
2-DE444-C2-3-BB0-4975-B41-B-9-C63-A57-DC

Jon was my favorite California Highway Patrol officer. The only blond in the bunch. 
EA8-A61-EC-9-CFE-4-B24-8-B49-887-FBCB43-

My second favorite crush, after Adam Cartwright. I so wanted to go to Hawaii when I was a teen. Tom Selleck fills out a set of chaps so well! If you’ve never seen one of his westerns go find one. When my friends were gutting my house after the Deluge, one of the guys picked up one of the Magnum P.I. DVD cases and said it was an ok show. I replied “Best chest on TV.” 
885-CF164-955-D-4-E4-E-84-FE-6-D09-B2438

Then there’s my favorite Cartwright.

17-DFF1-E0-361-F-4334-A6-BA-F8-A34-FAAB8

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
7 hours ago, patina said:

My American crushes:

I was 8 when Star Wars came out but Han Solo made my little heart pitter patter faster.

Oh yes, Patina.  I was 13 when Star Wars hit, and too loved Han.  I still loved them both, but in the end it was Luke, the Jedi in the making, that won out for me.

01 (4) 1.jpg

But Harrison Ford won be back in Witness...

01 (4) 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • I agree 1
Oldefan

I also found Harrison Ford very attractive in both Star Wars and Witness and, of course, Indiana Jones, but I was already married by then with two kids, so it didn't have 

the same effect.

I remember, as a teenager, going to see William Russell on stage in Leeds.  When he came onto the stage, a collective sigh went up from the ladies in the front stalls,

and I thought, yep, he's still got it.  I think he is still alive at the age of 95. 

• Like 1

Patina, what a line up of strong handsome men!!!  Ending with the gorgeous Adam, of course. 

About the time I'd fallen for Pernell as Adam, I also was smitten with Bobby Sherman. Both have dimpled smiles and  beautiful eyes that lead to the soul. I loved to watch Bobby in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and to hear him sing (the same with Pernell). 

Bobby Sherman.jpg

Lila Conrad Story.jpg

• Like 2
southplains

Aside from the luscious Native American-influenced Kurt Russell posted by @Bakerj these are a few of my first crushes.

I was crushing on Little Joe Cartwright since I was in diapers. When Bonanza ended and Little House began, it was rather odd to me---it was like watching Little Joe in some alternate universe. Still, I loved watching him. Around that time, though, a new show arrived, the first of its kind. Many viewers mistakenly thought it was a documentary at first. This show (and particularly my second crush) are credited with popularizing the concepts of EMS and paramedics in American society, and even inspiring other states and municipalities to expand the service. When it first aired, there were only 12 paramedic units in the entire U.S.  Randolph Mantooth gets two pictures because he is just that delicious.

randolph mantooth.jpgrandolph mantooth 2.jpg

Around the same time, I was infatuated with David Cassidy and his family and that brightly painted bus in which they drove everywhere, singing in family harmony.

david cassidy.jpg

In recent years, my heart beats faster over the two heroes of the Supernatural series. Seriously y'all, the whole brotherly bond thing we love so much in Bonanza? It exists just as strongly (sometimes more so) in this show. You don't even have to like stuff about ghosts and demons, etc. (I don't.) I was totally against watching it until Harper here at Brand talked me into it. I'm so glad she did. And they are so much fun to look at. :) @Bakerj, I haven't missed an episode either. You and I must share types! :wink: 

jared-padalecki-pic.jpgjensen ackles.jpg

But my first crush must have been my true crush, because my heart still melts for this face.

last hunt.jpg

• Like 2
  • I agree 1

As I was born 1977, I"ve never seen Bonanza. 

But one of my crush was Jon Baker in Chips

Jon Baker | CHiP's Wikia | Fandom

I liked the uniform and the gentle side of the autorithy. 

GUY WILLIAMS ou ZORRO - ACTERIEUR DU CINEMA

The little girl I was did watch Zorro at television on Saturday evening and I was charmed by the dark handsome hero. 

Texas John Slaughter-Geronimo's Revenge - 1958/60 - Harry Keller ...

I did see this TV show on television on Saturday evening, I had memories of some episodes and I recently found some old VHS to rewatch the episode I had kept in my mind. 

Flipper | TVDads.com

Another guy in uniform, he was the father in Flipper, raising alone his two boys. 

Concerning Bonanza, my first interest was and still is Ben Cartwright : fantastic fatherly figur, charismatic, strong, solid and charming. He was a widow just like as I'am. 

Ben Cartwright (Lorne Greene) – TV Gems

• Like 1
4 hours ago, southplains said:

Around the same time, I was infatuated with David Cassidy and his family and that brightly painted bus in which they drove everywhere, singing in family harmony.

david cassidy.jpg

When I was young, I had a life-size poster of David Cassidy on my bedroom door - for some reason he was wearing an orange t-shirt that said 'Keep Britain Tidy'! :yuck: