Tales from the Bunkhouse August, 2020

Brandsters

Can you believe 2020?  Seven months through the year and many placed in the U.S. are halting or even reverting their re-opening after seeing sharp increases in the number of COVID-19 cases and a rising number of deaths.  Many citizens are still working from home while others are waiting for their jobs to reopen.

August 2nd is National Coloring Book Day.  Don't we all wish we had nothing more to worry about than what colors to use or making sure we stayed withing the lines?

Many Brand members will truly appreciate Saturday, August 8th - International Day of the Cat.  We'll open a thread shortly where members can upload images of their favorite feline member of their family.

Little Joe and all his contemporaries will appreciate Thursday, August 13th - International Left-Handers Day.  Are you a left-hander?

Not to be left out, Wednesday, August 26th is set aside in the U.S. for National Dog Day - So yes, our canine family members will have thread where they can strut their stuff, too.

What holidays or interesting observations are celebrated in your locale?  

Is something is happening in your 'neck of the woods' or your life that's troubling you? A burden shared is a burden halved. 

This is the place to let your fellow Brand members know what is happening in your life if you need a shoulder to cry on or just to shout some good news. 

BluewindFarm

Last year I participated in the Alzheimer's Walk, and I will again this year.  At that time I mentioned to members that I had lost my maternal grandmother back in 2000 due to this disease  and I also revealed that my father was suffering from this too.

During this past week, I was notified by a step-sister that for the sanity of my step-mother (and her family) and for the safety of my dad, that he had been hospitalized.   Combine ALZ with aggressive personality disorder (a form of dementia), his life has become temper tantrums of epic/violent proportions as well as escaping their senior living community to run throughout the neighborhood; a danger to him or anyone else who might be driving down the street  They are working with their local Human Services to find a memory care facility where he will be able to live out the rest of his life.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Mac's Carol said:

August 1st is rescue dog birthday.

4 minutes ago, jfclover said:

We've always used the day we adopt. 

I don't celebrate our cats birthdays - they're cats!  Plus, they got a home when we rescued them, what more do they want?  :laugh:  (I'm sooooooooooooo mean!)  Besides, they rule our lives in every other way. :whip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
debbiejo
4 hours ago, Mac's Carol said:

August 1st is rescue dog birthday.  Since most shelters can't tell you a dog's birthday, they use August 1st as all of their birthdays to celebrate.  I always just celebrated my little girl's adoption day from the shelter.

We do something like that, Carol, with our cat who is also a rescue.  They estimated her to be about 18 months old when we got her in Oct. 2011, so she was born approx. Spring 2010. Spring is kittentime according to the rescue where we got her. They had named her Mama as she had a litter when she was brought into the shelter. We kept the name and since she was probably born in the Spring we celebrate her bday on Mothers Day.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, BluewindFarm said:

Last year I participated in the Alzheimer's Walk, and I will again this year.  At that time I mentioned to members that I had lost my maternal grandmother back in 2000 due to this disease  and I also revealed that my father was suffering from this too.

During this past week, I was notified by a step-sister that for the sanity of my step-mother (and her family) and for the safety of my dad, that he had been hospitalized.   Combine ALZ with aggressive personality disorder (a form of dementia), his life has become temper tantrums of epic/violent proportions as well as escaping their senior living community to run throughout the neighborhood; a danger to him or anyone else who might be driving down the street  They are working with their local Human Services to find a memory care facility where he will be able to live out the rest of his life.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. My dad is going through the initial stages - his mother and older brother died from ALZ so we figure that's what it is, but his personality hasn't changed yet. His problem right now is mostly short term memory, but he also has periods of dementia where he thinks I live in another town, or I live with THEM, or he is still working and has to sign his retirement papers - he just obsesses on a story for several days, then another one. But if you ask him questions he think about it a while and admits it doesn't make sense. So he knows he is having problems. He's living with my mom and she's mostly doing ok with it, but sometimes she gets tired and frustrated.

One good thing about COVID-19 is my parents aren't leaving the house except very occasionally.  On the one hand, that provides consistency for him, but on the other hand my mother is going a little stir crazy. Luckily she has 3 daughters who all live within 10 minutes, and my other sisters call her every few days.

BluewindFarm
6 hours ago, ellen said:

The early stages are easier for family members to care for loved ones; my grandfather did for my grandmother until she kept getting out of the house and wondering off.  And now my step-mother is probably well past the stage where my dad should have been placed in a facility, especially with his aggressive form of dementia.  

The problem with ALZ is it's a robber of memories.  It's been years since my dad has recognized me, and I had to stop visiting when they lived in Illinois because he would get mad when he'd be reminded that I was he daughter, and he'd say he never had a daughter.  Eventually he also claimed he never had two sons (my brothers).  About seven years ago they relocated to outside of Milwaukee, WI to be near my step-mom's family.  It's difficult to have a meaningful conversation via phone when the person you are trying to speak with has no memory of events or of you; conversations die on the line.

From what I understand, Dad will remain hospitalized until he tests COVID-free and that they can find a facility that is COVID-free and has an opening to accept him.

• Sad 3
Mac's Carol

My sister still knows people though she may not remember the relationship.  She has had it for over 10 years.  Personal hygiene is an issue but she gets up and puts on her makeup everyday!  They had to call her one son to come over so she did not forget him.  Last Thanksgiving while she sat by her older son, she was calling him by his first name, but when he asked her what his last name was, she came up with a name none of us had ever heard.  Now my sister has been married 4 times and engaged a few more times than that, so I asked her if she had had another husband we did not know about.  Even she had to laugh at that.  You have to have a little fun with them if you can, but as the disease progresses that is hard.  I used to call her daily but now she cannot talk on the phone anymore.  Its a cruel disease.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
southplains
On 8/2/2020 at 2:58 AM, BluewindFarm said:

My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2009. My two sisters and I take turns having her live with us to care for her. She is doing relatively well to have had the disease for 11 years (for example, she still knows who we all are) but caring for a person with the disease is still tough. Thus my need to escape back into the haven of Bonanza, lol! (In addition to escaping all the other insanities in the world right now.)

• Like 7
southplains
1 hour ago, Mac's Carol said:

I decided to take a covid test and it was negative!  I got one because I think I had a bit of food poisoning last weekend but to be on the safe side decided to take the test.  Glad I did.

I've been tested at work (mandatory) and will probably be told to do it again. 

I haven't missed one day of driving in to work and putting in my eight hours since all this started. A thousand coworkers at my facility and forty in my department. Then there are 300 individuals who live there, all with compromised immune systems. In other words, I'm surrounded. :wink:

• Like 4
debbiejo
1 hour ago, Mac's Carol said:

I took my sister back home yesterday.  She said she loved being with me (even if she did ask me what my name was) but when I told her I was taking her home, she practically ran for the door!  All in all it was a good visit.

The visit made her feel good and that's what counts at this stage of the game.

• Like 1
  • I agree 2
BluewindFarm

Parent company just announced that they and all subsidiaries will remain in Phase I through the end of 2020.  That means all remotely working employees will continue to work from home. 

Who else is planning to stay up late on December 31, 2020, not to see the New Year in but to make sure this year LEAVES!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
Mac's Carol

Yesterday I spent 6 hours in the ER.  I have a pretty bad case of cellulitis in my arm.  I get those periodically because of cancer surgeries but not usually this bad.  I keep antibiotics on hand but this was more than my normal infections.  They ended up giving me IV antibiotics and I am much better today.  My arm is not so red and hot as yesterday and the swelling has gone down a lot.  There was less than 2 hours of treatment and 4 hours just waiting!