Tales From the Bunkhouse, July, 2020

Mac's Carol

We seem to have missed the month of June!

I am still staying in as much as I can but I did get my haircut and got a pedicure.  I have been able to go to church with social distancing and wearing masks.  I work part-time and have been working from home but I did go in to work one day last week.  That was nice even if it was only for a couple of hours.  Just seeing people was great!

Brandsters

@Mac's Carol thank you for starting this thread.  I woke with a terrible sinus headache yesterday and spent the day in bed, sleeping.  And yes we did miss June, it fell when I was in the doldrums of COVID-19 staying at home.

BluewindFarmn

Brandsters

July 1st is Canada Day  :huggingface:  Hello to all our Neighbors to the North.

July 2nd  I Forgot Day.  :huh:  (Yep, I forgot to post this yesterday, so I was ahead of the game.)

July 4th U.S. Independence Day 

July 15th is Cow Appreciation Day - Go out and give a cow a hug!

July 26th is Parent's Day.  

July 30th is Father-in-Law Day

July 31st is for all of us who have adopted a 'Heinz Variety' canine.  It's Mutt's Day.

What other days are celebrated in your community? 

Are you still bound by "Stay at Home" orders are you slowing emerging out into the world?  Let us know how or what you are doing? 

debbiejo

Yes, it's been a very quiet June.  Finally was able to get my hair cut also, which was quite a welcome thing.  Here in NY (Long Island), we are slowly but cautiously opening up.  My usual trips, when I go out, are to the supermarket, Target, Home Depot, and Lowe's.  Have been focusing on my garden, like a lot of folks, and have started a little hobby of buying perennial plants (that have some potential) from the "marked down" shelves at Lowe's and rehabbing them. It's kind of kept me sane during this time. Wish they would open the malls just for walking purposes.......not really interested in clothes shopping right now.  .  Tom and I dined outside at a local restaurant on Fathers' Day weekend and then our son and his girlfriend came over the next day.  Hopefully the tomato plants will have ripened by the end of July and we'll have some tasty homegrown tomatoes .  Local small bicycle shops have waiting lines outside. 

Mac's Carol

I have mostly just gone out to the supermarket or Target with a rare visit to Lowes.  I did get some flowers which looked so nice for a day or so until the deer ate all the blooms off!  $25 worth of flowers!  I also forgot that they ate my beebalm last year and sure enough they ate them again.  I do have some deer repellent but it must be reapplied every few days.  The smell is horrible and I feel like I get the smell in my nose and smell it all day long!  The temps have been in the 90's for a while now and today will be almost 100.  I walked the dog, watered my flowers, staked some netting around a vulnerable plant, fed the hummingbirds, took a shower,  and ate breakfast all by 7:30 this morning!

ChrisH

After being stuck at home since March, only seeing family from afar, I got a call asking me if I would like to help at the Hospice warehouse. Social distances were in place , eager to help I jumped at the chance. It was great seeing my friends, I worked 4 days , mistake I was so tired I could hardly move. This week I will just do 3 days, as my family love to remind me I’m getting old, that’s not what I think.:smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
jfclover
1 hour ago, ChrisH said:

After being stuck at home since March, only seeing family from afar, I got a call asking me if I would like to help at the Hospice warehouse. Social distances were in place , eager to help I jumped at the chance. It was great seeing my friends, I worked 4 days , mistake I was so tired I could hardly move. This week I will just do 3 days, as my family love to remind me I’m getting old, that’s not what I think.:smile:

I think we've all fallen desperately out of shape.  :dry:  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jfclover said:

I think we've all fallen desperately out of shape.  :dry:  

Boy, that's the truth. I went to my regular doctor for a checkup and he commented that I hadn't gained any weight. Normally he would ask why I hadn't lost any :laugh:  .  I told him that I was not eating healthy and not exercising like I should, and he said "you and 99% of the people I'm seeing."

• Like 2
freyakendra

Hi folks! Remember me? 🤔

My job has kept me particularly busy the past few years, and I traveled constantly!! Mostly to Japan and Mexico.

Of course, travel came to a grinding halt in March, and just when I was about to meet Patina for the first time! ☹️ 

things at work....well... it’s been rough. I’ve been working harder than ever, from home, of course, because about 70% of our US workforce was laid off, including most of my team. Then, 2 weeks ago, I had to fire 2 critical team members, one of whom had unique skills and over 30 years with the company. They both knew the decision was not mine and they both keep checking to make sure I’m okay when it should be the other way around! 😥

last week I had to go to the office, masked, of course, to pack up their desks! It was...horrible.

my workload now is insane, and I really don’t have time to write, but I think I NEED to write, so maybe I’ll check some of the challenges.

hugs all around!

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

I’m sorry CarolAnn. :hug2:

:hug2:Freya. I’d looked forward to meeting you! Working at home has had its challenges (for me, primarily feline).  It sucks that people have lost their jobs. Even worse, it sucks to be the bearer of that news. Carve out that writing time.

• Like 1

Monday last week my 73 year old uncle had a ladder accident. He’d finished painting the second story of the house and was climbing down. The extension ladder must have decided it was tired because it decided it didn’t want to extend any longer. My uncle was bucked off. Fortunately, he landed in the grass. Unfortunately, the ladder bounced off him before landing on the concrete driveway. He tore the patellar tendon on one leg, broke a shoulder, and had an 8 inch vertical gash between his eyes. Praise God he didn’t break his back or pelvis, bash in his skull, or die! The knee surgery was last week and he’s got another week in the knee brace. His shoulder repair was today. When I talked to him over the weekend he said he had an impressive shiner (black eye).

I asked my aunt if she’d heard the accident and she said no. She was in the kitchen, in the back of the house, and had no idea something was wrong until she saw the neighbor jump the back fence. 

Talking to Mom this afternoon, she told me about Dad’s recent ladder accident. He’d finished trimming the live oak tree with a chainsaw, turned the saw off, and got it down to the ground. He missed the last rung as he came down the ladder and landed on the driveway. Fortunately it was a short fall that hurt his pride more than anything else. He scraped up his knee and even though he’s been putting antibiotic ointment on it Mom made him

go to the doctor since the edges of the wound are looking red. The doctor prescribed oral antibiotics.

Dad and his brother need to stay off ladders and hire young whippersnappers to paint or trim trees.

• Wow 4
BluewindFarm

Who would have thought when my employer told the front office staff to 'work from home' beginning March 18th that we'd still be working from home four months later.  

Yesterday afternoon, Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb announced that as of Monday, July 27th, everyone in Indiana  will be required to wear a facemask, allowing for specific exemptions related to age (too young), medical conditions (like asthma),  while eating/drinking, while participating in physical activities, or when social distancing cannot be adhered to while outdoors.   Violators will face a class D misdemeanor.   -- I'll willingly wear one when out and about, I already am.

Even though the office is open for those who wish to return, there is no big rush to bring us back.  For right now, the bosses are leaving it up to each employee with their supervisor's approval.  Based on where my desk/cubicle is, I'd have to wear a facemask 9+ hours a day.  No thank you!  I'll wear it for brief times when I do go into the office to handle items which can't be done remotely, and then I'll happily return to my 'home office' to finish out the day without wearing a mask.