Tales from the Bunkhouse May 2020

Brandsters

April has come and gone, and still we find many of our members sequestered at home due to COVID-19.  Cheaux's "Anxiety Relief" episode viewing is a wonderful diversion.

If you hear any unusual sounds on May 1st, in additional to being May Day, it is also International Day of the Tuba!  Another historical first, due to COVID, the Kentucky Derby will not be run on the first Saturday in May, instead the 146th Running for the Roses will occur in September.

Need an excuse not to clean house, May 3rd is Lumpy Rug Day!  :cheer:  But then reality returns on May 10th with Clean Up Your Room Day  :sad:and more disappointment with No Dirty Dishes Day on May 18th.  :cry:

Star Wars fans will observe May the Fourth be with You! on May 4th.  Those with Mexican heritage will celebrate Cinco de Mayo on May 5th. 

Mothers around the world will be celebrated on Sunday, May 10th.  :motherday:

On Monday, May 25th, we pause to remember the service men and women whose lives were lost as they ensured our freedoms.  Memorial Day goes back to 1865 and the end of the American Civil War, though it was known as Decoration Day until 1882. 

How are you doing?  What's going on in your life?  Do you need a hug?  We're here to listen.

Wow, so much information for a month.

Today is Labor Day and in many parts of the world people are without work. Other parts are lucky that they have a social system that is helping them. 

May will bringing many changes.

My Motto will be:

In every crisis there is also a chance to change things

Brandsters

@JoeC

You are correct, there are so many official holidays and "international/national days" for the month, there were too many to mention.  Thank you for adding Labor Day. :smile: America will observe Labor Day the first Monday in September.   

Members, what 'Days" are celebrated this month where you live?  Will you share with us your traditions and customs?

BluewindFarm

@JoeC  I love your motto!

A conference call with my boss yesterday included that we are to continue working at home through at least May 8th.  The news the morning, the county where I work has extended the "Stay-at-Home" orders through May 15th.  Guess this means at least another two weeks before we can return to work, and being with other people.  Though the President of our division has realized that working from home isn't a bad thing and might allow more lee-way for employees to regularly do this instead of just when there's an emergency.  I know I've been more productive without all the interruptions, as well as starting work at 5:30 in the morning.

BluewindFarm

A shout out to all the Nurses during Nurses' Week, the first week of May.

A thank you to all the Law Enforcement Officers during National Police Week, the third week of May.

And kudos to all the EMTs and Paramedics during Emergency Medical Services Week, the fourth week of May.

At the end of May we celebrate for three days Pentecost or Whitesunday.

Pentecost is in my family always the Cousins Family Day. All Cousins from all areas in Germany celebrate at one of them's house. Last year we were the host. This year we should have been in Berlin. Because of Corona we can't celebrate. 

• Sad 1
MicheleBE1115

For some reason, in Maryland, we're reporting more cases each day. This means our stay-in-place order can't even change until we have 2 weeks of no new cases or at least fewer cases.

On weekends I'm supporting local restaurants with take-out dinners.

• Like 1
AC1830
On 5/1/2020 at 7:47 AM, BluewindFarm said:

A shout out to all the Nurses during Nurses' Week, the first week of May.

A thank you to all the Law Enforcement Officers during National Police Week, the third week of May.

And kudos to all the EMTs and Paramedics during Emergency Medical Services Week, the fourth week of May.

Thanks for these reminders, @BluewindFarm

Here are the actual dates:

May 6-12 - National Nurses week

May 10-16 - National Law Enforcement Week

May 17-23 - National EMT and Paramedic Week

• Like 2
Belle
6 hours ago, MicheleBE1115 said:

For some reason, in Maryland, we're reporting more cases each day. This means our stay-in-place order can't even change until we have 2 weeks of no new cases or at least fewer cases.

On weekends I'm supporting local restaurants with take-out dinners.

I am puzzled. I assume Maryland is increasing testing.  I would assume the number of cases will increase accordingly.

I wish you well and hope your numbers go down soon.

Mac's Carol

Its a concern in Maryland because our governor has been proactive with stay in place orders etc.  We are a small state with close ties to DC and Virginia.  People often live in one area and work in another.  For a while federal workers were still required to go into the offices which meant they could be taking the virus from one jurisdiction to another.  I hope it flattens soon.  I try to go out only every 10 to 15 days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Belle
1 hour ago, Mac's Carol said:

Its a concern in Maryland because our governor has been proactive with stay in place orders etc.  We are a small state with close ties to DC and Virginia.  People often live in one area and work in another.  For a while federal workers were still required to go into the offices which meant they could be taking the virus from one jurisdiction to another.  I hope it flattens soon.  I try to go out only every 10 to 15 days.

Ah, thanks. I pray for you and everyone that this ends soon.

Cheaux
On 5/2/2020 at 8:50 AM, MicheleBE1115 said:

For some reason, in Maryland, we're reporting more cases each day.

Same here.  Washoe County is continuing to see new cases--yesterdays news statistics reported 20 year olds getting it.  A big spike occurred about 10 days after Easter with 13 new cases one day.  I just checked the headline news and as of this morning there are 28 new cases!   That may seem low to East Coasters, but typically we've been seeing under 5 on any one day.  I'm with Mac's Carol ... I'm staying home!

MicheleBE1115

I think I figured out the problem:  Nursing homes seem to have the highest rates of reporting.

I went to the Farmers Market this morning & bought my seedlings for my vegetable garden.  Everyone was keeping their distance & wearing masks.

To help keep the local restaurants in business, I'll order dinner tonight.  I ordered from Cava yesterday with no problem.  A friend had told me about their blood orange pomegranate margarita.  Was it ever good!

And a little while ago, I successfully took my glass front door insert out (heavy thing) and replaced it with the screen door insert.  Now the cats can get fresh air without going outside.

• Like 2
MicheleBE1115
18 hours ago, Belle said:

I am puzzled. I assume Maryland is increasing testing.  I would assume the number of cases will increase accordingly.

I wish you well and hope your numbers go down soon.

I think the nursing homes are reporting more cases.  That may be the situation.

MicheleBE1115
5 hours ago, Mac's Carol said:

I admire our governor, Carol.  He's even hidden test kits from the Federal Government and have the site guarded without saying where it's located. I understand the Federal gov. even confiscated kits or other things from some states, which is why our governor has taken precautions to make sure that doesn't happen here.  And you make a good point about workrs traveling from one jurisdiction to another.

MicheleBE1115

Adding to the list of holidays, here are more:

National Hamburger Month

National Salad Month

Older Americans Month

Gifts from the Garden Month

Wildflower Week is in the 2nd week.

Mother Goose Day was May 1st.

Herb Day was May 2nd.

KY (as in Kentucky Derby for those of you thinkng naughty thoughts) was May 2nd.

World Press Freedom Day is today (May 3rd).

Bird Day is May 4th.

Oh, here's one most of us should enjoy:  May 6th is No Diet Day!

May 8th is National Outdoor Intercourse Day.  ?????  No socks day is the same day.

May 11th is Eat What You Want Day

May 12th is Limerick Day.  Cheaux, maybe a writing contest?

These are just a few of the wacky holidays this month.

patina

Yesterday marked the second time the Kentucky Derby was a turtle race rather than a horse race (the first time was in 1945).  The Kentucky Derby is called the fastest 2 minutes in horse racing.  The turtle race was . . . slower. :lol:

You can watch the Kentucky Turtle Derby if you'd like.

• Haha 2
BluewindFarm

In Indiana, nursing homes have become problematic with residents contracting COVID, but we've also had two extremely large meat processing plants that were still in full operation with very little done to distance the workers.  More than half their employees have tested positive.

The authorities have back tracked a number of our 'major' outbreaks to various "State" or "National" high school / college basketball playoff games that were played in Indiana during the latter half of February/beginning of March.  They've not said anything about professional sports contributing.

As of tomorrow, Monday, May 4th, Indiana will allow 89 of our 92 counties to open in phases; subject to restrictions going back in place if people don't take proper precautions and the numbers start spiking.

Here's Indiana's phase-in plan:

BOT-IN.jpg

• Like 2
jojay
5 hours ago, patina said:

Yesterday marked the second time the Kentucky Derby was a turtle race rather than a horse race (the first time was in 1945).  The Kentucky Derby is called the fastest 2 minutes in horse racing.  The turtle race was . . . slower. :lol:

You can watch the Kentucky Turtle Derby if you'd like.

What a nail biter!    :rotfl:

• Haha 1