What's Happening at Brand: Week of May 24, 2020!!

COVID 19 Anxiety Relief - Bonanza Watch Party!! 5/29 "The Mill" @ 7:00 pm EDT

Remembering Pernell Roberts

**WINNER** Pernell's Birthday Bingo!

From the Library: Roll, Jenny, Roll by JoaniePaiute

2020 Writing Challenge Calendar

New to Brand?  Checkout our Forum Guidelines and  How to pages.

Cheaux

Alan Roberts

Cheaux

AR1.JPG

Who could resist this smiling, affable, earnest boy?   Certainly not the Cartwrights!

"El Toro Grande" (Season 1, Episode 16):   After tangling with bandits on the way to California to buy a prize bull for the Ponderosa, Little Joe fends off a pretty senorita and her jealous fiancé, while Hoss discovers that the bull has been spirited away by a little boy who is convinced that the Cartwrights plan to kill and eat his big bovine friend.

Born Alan Robert Costello in September 1948, Alan Roberts had a relatively short career in TV/Film.  He appeared in Playhouse 90 (1956), the movie Dinosaurus! (1960), and Ben Casey (1961).  He also had roles in Leave it to Beaver and Lucy Goes to Mexico.   He was known as the Spanish Macaulay Culkin.  Alan left show business and became a truck driver.  Along the way he married and had seven children, 9 grandchildren, and 1 great grandchild at the time of his death.  

AR2.JPGAR4.JPGAR6.JPG

He died in Palm Springs at age 59.  One of his sons wrote on his memorial page:

He was one of the best Guitarists I have ever heard, and I’m not just saying that cuz he was my dad, he was very talented with the guitar. We would sit many nights, all night, at Denny's or Carrows restaurants and Yum Yum Donuts where people would gather to drink coffee and listen to him play the guitar.

He was known for picking up hitchhikers and people with disabilities and helping them in whatever way he could. He wasn't a millionaire or anything like that but to a weary traveler or someone hurting in some way, a friendly face and gesture with a spot to sleep for a night with a hot meal is a small comfort.

He was also an avid 49'er, for those of you who do not know what that is, it is a gold miner. He collected and studied up on all ghost stories of gold mines and often we went on camping trips to the Superstition Mountains in search of long, lost gold, but mostly just had fun.

Three of Dad's greatest loves were his Guitars and his motorcycles and his old yellow truck. My sister has custody of his guitar and my brother has custody of his truck. He was cremated and so a part of him is with me and the rest of him is scattered peacefully in one of his most treasured places.

AR7.jpegAR8.jpg

• Like 3