The Hanging Posse

Brandsters

the hanging posse.JPG

Pot:  Adam and Little Joe ride with the posse trailing after the murderers of Vannie Johnson and they're all that stand between right and another lynching.
First Aired:  November 28, 1959
Director:  Christian Nyby
Writer:  David Dortort (creator), Carey Wilber

You've watched the episode. Now it's your chance to sit in the director's chair, or better yet, sit at the editor's desk for the entertainment section of your local paper.  What review would you give to the people who read your paper.

Do you have any behind the scene tidbits to share?

What were your favorite / least favorite scene(s) from The Truckee Strip.

PS:  When commenting, please be respectful of the actors, directors, writers, and other Forum members.

• Like 1
indiana

"What were your favorite / least favorite scene(s) from The Truckee Strip."

You mean Hanging Posse :wink: 

In my top 10 episode. A good episode Adam/Joe. I like very much Adam in this episode, a good guide for Joe who is always a bit long to find the good way.

Adam is of course wise and smart as usual, and what he wants it's the justice in a legal way.

The saddest scene is when the "bad" old guy is killed just before to reach the water.

• Like 1
indiana
35 minutes ago, jfclover said:

I don't watch many early eps, but this is a good one.  The Joe/Adam connection is the best of the series.  They respect each other and they listen to one another.  Nothing degrading and no eye-rolling.  Good brother moments between the two.

It's true. There is nothing "weird" in the story, or between the different characters. The storyline is logic. Like you say no eye-rolling for this episode .

• Like 4

I like this ep a lot, and mainly for the interaction between Adam and Joe.  For me, it's the ep that demonstrates the relationship between the two brothers the best.  

Joe doesn't hesitate going to Adam to talk through his worries, and he is listened to and they discuss it with mutual respect (as jfclover says above, no eye-rolling or patronizing goes on).

1815356951_01Dilemma.thumb.jpg.ee3863dc9ee7f28275b103a8675aff5d.jpg

I love the way the two of them pull together to provide one solid front against the posse when things go bad.

222332903_01TheGift.thumb.jpg.5829a38f008cfb66dfd502b08cb42961.jpg

They protect the bad guy, even though they both despise him and, although Joe questions going up against friends to do so, in the end, he saves the bad guy from hanging after Adam is blindsided.

519437141_01ReflectionjpegRS.thumb.jpg.50e5924c04894f2487e176d0099ef502.jpg

The story is intelligently written and put together, and doesn't come with perfect, happy outcome.  Great stuff.

• Like 5

I agree with all that's been said here. I wish we had seen more of this Adam/Joe relationship. It's strong and respectful. (There's a sense of it again in Quality of Mercy.)  My favorite scenes are when Joe wakes Adam up (you can almost hear Adam's thoughts about helping his brother vs trying to sleep) and the fact that Adam is amazingly patient with him despite being exhausted, and when Joe deals with everyone right after Adam is injured. He showed he had been listening to and watching older brother, he found the answer within himself.

• Like 1

I like this episode, from the comedic opening to the tense standoff towards the end.  This is, however, an episode in which the ending just fizzles out.  I've read a fanfic by Harper which tells how Adam and Joe got the remaining bad guy back to Virginia City.  

Joe shows a maturity not often seen in the first season.  Rather than impulsively joining in with Pauite's band of would-be murderers he talks through things with Adam a couple of times in the episode.  When he talks to his friend, crying for his dead mother, Joe wants to talk his feelings out with Adam.  I like Adam's reply of "Nobody knows anything."  Everyone else in the posse was so sure all three men they were tracking were guilty and all should hang when found yet Adam was insistent that the men be brought back to VC for justice.  We get to see a rare moment of Joe protecting Adam when big brother foolishly steps outside for a handshake.  

The Cartwrights are still evolving in this ep but they're getting pretty close to the men we know and love.

• Like 1
Sierra Girl

Everyone has said it - great interaction between Adam and Joe. It's a rare episode for having Joe actually treat Adam like a respected older brother - asking for his guidance, point of view, opinion. They mirror each other in pose several times which adds to that feeling of brothers. And then Joe turning the tables, stepping up to the mark and doing what Adam had been saying all along. Great episode.

Fav scenes - definitely the waking Adam up scene, the rapid - in unison - pulling of their guns on Paiute Scruggs, the entire section in the hut at the end with the bad guy when they are dusty, dirty, sweaty and angry too. 

For ages I thought there were saying 'Pernell Springs' when referring to the next watering hole. I was so disapppointed to hear it was Parnell Springs. :laugh:

And just what did second bad guy have wrong with him? I could never work it out. 

MIRROR IMAGES... BROTHERS TO THE CORE...

HP 13 DVS.jpgHP 19 DVS.jpgHP 28 DVS.jpg

• Like 3

This is a really good Joe and Adam episode with some very nice JAMs. I think if someone wants to study the relationship of Joe and Adam this episode is a very good place to start.

• I agree 1

I think the bad guy had diabetes.  I think this episode shows the strong position Adam had in helping to raise Joe.  After all he is 12 years older and would have had a hand in helping his widowed father with Joe.  There is another episode where Joe looks to Adam before approaching his father, and Adam slightly shakes his head "no" much as a mother would in warning a child "not now".

• I agree 2
17 hours ago, zaphodandflower said:

I too love this episode for all of the reasons listed above. I also love when towards the end of the episode someone knocks Adam out and they grab the bad guy. Joe defends both him and Adam. The roles are reversed for a bit there.

Sabina

Back in 2015, I wrote a Little Bit Challenge for this episode, demonstrating the reversal:

The Hanging Posse

‘They’re home.’  Relief finally etched Ben’s face, believing Little Joe too young to experience the rigors of a posse; and fearing the worst, a lynching. Knowing Adam would do anything to protect his youngest brother had brought him little comfort.

From the porch he saw movement in the barn; heard Adam asking a hand to see to the horses. ‘I was right. Why didn’t Adam send Joe home before things got out of hand?’  Walking through the doorway, his sons came into sight. ‘Who’s supporting who?’

“What happened?”

Proudly, Adam spoke, “Joe stood up to the posse to rescue me.”

• Like 2
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.