On a cold winter night this sounds good -- even if you don't have any steers to brand!

1 1/4 pounds hamburger

4 potatoes (more or less), peeled and sliced

2 carrots, peeled and diced

1 large onion, peeled and chopped

salt and pepper to taste

Link sausage, cooked and cut into bite size piece

1 lb. grated sharp cheddar cheese

Brown the hamburger in a large, heavy skillet.  Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, and a little bit of water (1/4 cup) and cover.  Cook on medium heat until the vegetables are soft, stirring now and then.   Add seasonings to taste.

Stir in the sausage and sprinkle with grated cheese on top of the mix.  Cover again and heat until the cheese is melted.

Serves 4  ( or just Hoss)

1 hour ago, ChrisH said:

It went down very well, One of boys didn't like it but then unlike his brother he seem only to like cakes and sweets. In fact Jordan said I could make it again anytime, so I gave the recipe to his wife.:biggrin:

Wonderful!  

I hosted book club this month and the book was "The Giver of Stars" set in Kentucky so I served Kentucky Fried Chicken and made  Kentucky Bourbon baked beans, collard greens with bacon and bourbon, and skillet cornbread.  I had never had collard greens before.  One of the attendees was from the south and said they were great.   Whew!   Always a risk to make something new, especially something you've tasted tried before.   

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Cheaux said:

Wonderful!  

I hosted book club this month and the book was "The Giver of Stars" set in Kentucky so I served Kentucky Fried Chicken and made  Kentucky Bourbon baked beans, collard greens with bacon and bourbon, and skillet cornbread.  I had never had collard greens before.  One of the attendees was from the south and said they were great.   Whew!   Always a risk to make something new, especially something you've tasted tried before.   

You are brave to make collards; I never try making them myself, but if I go to a "country" restaurant that has them, I always get them.

21 hours ago, Cheaux said:

@ChrisH  I posted a recipe for leather cookies for your great grandson who likes sweets.      

I was just about to make some cookies for them to ice tomorrow, so have a go at these Thanks. I used to have friends around each month and make meals from different countries. I enjoyed cooking so much l went to college to train to be a chef when I was in my 40s. One of the best things I ever did.

• Like 3
On 1/18/2020 at 8:52 AM, ChrisH said:

I used to have friends around each month and make meals from different countries.

After 18 years of having a spaghetti dinner on Christmas Eve for friends and family, we decided to try other cuisines.   We wrote major countries and/or territories, islands, or continents on poker chips and put them in a bowl.   Before the end of the last spaghetti night, we drew for the following year.  Everyone brought an authentic recipe for the selected country and we followed some of the traditions as well.   We continued that for many years until our group grew smaller and we started going out to dinner instead.    Some really great meals came out of that and lot of memories.  

• Like 4
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.