DECEMBER : Xmas Time

indiana

I have always enjoyed decorating the house, but for the last few years I couldn't find time to make the usual effort.

This year, I am definitely trying to make the place festive and welcoming for us and our visitors.

My new tradition (since last year) is to participate in the Bonanza advent calendar.  If you aren't reading along with us every day, you are missing some wonderful stories.

• Like 4

I love making handmade Christmas cards, but haven't had time to do any yet this year. I always make lots of homemade goodies like truffles and shortbread and give them as gifts. It's always holiday time for me so I really love getting to slow down and enjoy the hot weather by the pool. We go to Carols by Candlelight somewhere each year. The best part though is seeing family that come from interstate every year.

• Like 2

The decoration in our house, and listening Christmas music. THis is what I prefer.  This video is one of my favorite. They share a sweet warm moment, uniting their voice. Christmas' spirit. 

I'm waiting for snow, a lot of snow, because I so much love White Christmas. I love drinking Christmas Tea with Cinnamon. 

Nothing's big, just small pleasure. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BettyHT said:

I like to decorate the house with Santas.  Each year, we shop around and buy a few more often finding them in consignment shops or resale stores.  We have 95 at last count -- of various sizes with mostly the traditional red, but some are white, beige, or blue.

I heard that Santa Claus became red in the 50s, thanks to Coca Cola advertising.  Before that, he wasn't any particular colour.  I quite like different coloured Father Christmases.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Inca said:

I heard that Santa Claus became red in the 50s, thanks to Coca Cola advertising.  Before that, he wasn't any particular colour.  I quite like different coloured Father Christmases.

Thomas Nast, the caricaturist/cartoonist for Harper's Weekly is the one responsible for that.  He drew the modern looking Santa although at first he didn't look that way.  After about thirty years of drawing him though, he had him in the full red suit with the black belt and the fur lining and the big matching hat.  That was in the late 1800s.  It was quite a few years before Coca Cola used a red Santa in their advertising.

• Like 1

When I was young living in Germany, we had a Santa dressed in green and was told that was the first colour he wore. Now I have a lovely Santa in gold and white. I love this time of year everywhere is brightly light up, and I love singing all the Carols. Just spent the last 2 months making 12 xmas cakes, I love to decorated them all differently. I tried last year to post pictures on the site, but was unsuccessful. Will get my granddaughter to help me if she isn't to busy

• Like 1
21 hours ago, chrish said:

When I was young living in Germany, we had a Santa dressed in green and was told that was the first colour he wore. Now I have a lovely Santa in gold and white. I love this time of year everywhere is brightly light up, and I love singing all the Carols. Just spent the last 2 months making 12 xmas cakes, I love to decorated them all differently. I tried last year to post pictures on the site, but was unsuccessful. Will get my granddaughter to help me if she isn't to busy

Twelve cakes!  How many people are you expecting for Christmas?

I think I might be losing my mind a bit. Every day I keep adding to the decorations around the house.  Tonight, I covered some of the pictures on the wall with wrapping paper.  I like how it looks.  Wonder how long it will take my husband to notice?  :wink:

And yet, I haven't found the time to start writing my Advent story . . .

• Haha 1

I love decorating my trees and if I find the time will put up a picture.  My hubby always teases me about how long it takes because I always pause to think about when and where I got each one.   My daughter was born on the 16th so when family comes over for the party they'll hunt for the pickle on the tree and  I'll show them all my new ornaments.    I like making goodies, decorating  sugar cookies with my girls and watching It's a wonderful Life with them when they come over.  Every Christmas Eve we'll go to the church where I grew up for services and sing Silent Night in Low German.  Goosebumps!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Belle said:

I think I might be losing my mind a bit. Every day I keep adding to the decorations around the house.  Tonight, I covered some of the pictures on the wall with wrapping paper.  I like how it looks.  Wonder how long it will take my husband to notice?  :wink:

And yet, I haven't found the time to start writing my Advent story . . .

I'venever come across gift wrapping the pictures on the walls, Belle. :lol:

Sounds as if we're both struggling with our Advent calendar contribution.  I've started two and they're both rubbish.

MicheleBE1115