Beginning Watercolors

Okay, so a couple of days ago I bought my first-ever set of watercolors. Since I knew next to nothing about watercolors (the extent of my knowledge was mainly that you mix water into the paint :rolleyes: ) I decided to start with something small--a dog's eye.

I took a few pics from beginning to end. Excuse the shadows on the side of the pics; apparently I wasn't watching where I was holding my phone.

Does anyone else work with watercolors? If so, this newbie would love to hear any tricks or tips you might have. I would also love to see any watercolor paintings you may have done! 

dog_eye_1.jpg

dog_eye_2.jpg

dog_eye_3.jpg

• Like 3
6 hours ago, jojay said:

It's already pretty awesome!  I'd never guess you hadn't done Waterford before.  I've always wanted to try but always find an excuse not to.  (My mom always jokingly said they weren't excuses, they were reasons.:lol:)

Aw, come on, Jojay!! I think this thread is a sign that it is time for you to jump in and get your feet--er, brushes wet!  Seriously, give it a try! What do you have to lose?

1 hour ago, Inca said:

Nicely painted, SP.  You've caught that "glassy" quality very well.

Just had a three-day watercolour course here.  They all went home yesterday.  Are you painting from a photo/picture or from the real thing?

I paint, but mostly in acrylics.  I like painting people best.

Inca, why don't you post some of your work?  I'd love to see it.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Inca said:

Nicely painted, SP.  You've caught that "glassy" quality very well.

Just had a three-day watercolour course here.  They all went home yesterday.  Are you painting from a photo/picture or from the real thing?

I paint, but mostly in acrylics.  I like painting people best.

Thanks, Inca. I'm painted this from a picture on the internet, but it helped, I think, that the dog's eye in question looks remarkably like that of one of my own dogs.  Not sure I could do it while trying to follow the real thing around, though!

I second JC's comment--I'd love to see your work. You could post it here, or start an acrylic thread; either way, I'd be excited to see it!

(Not sure if you've struggled with pics like I have since photobucket got greedy, but at Patina's suggestion, I tried postimages.org for the first time with this thread. Very simple, and seems to work okay!)

5 hours ago, southplains said:

Thanks, Inca. I'm painted this from a picture on the internet, but it helped, I think, that the dog's eye in question looks remarkably like that of one of my own dogs.  Not sure I could do it while trying to follow the real thing around, though!

I second JC's comment--I'd love to see your work. You could post it here, or start an acrylic thread; either way, I'd be excited to see it!

(Not sure if you've struggled with pics like I have since photobucket got greedy, but at Patina's suggestion, I tried postimages.org for the first time with this thread. Very simple, and seems to work okay!)

20 hours ago, JC* said:

Inca, why don't you post some of your work?  I'd love to see it.

Somewhere, there's a painting I did of Little Joe, but no idea where I put it! 

I've been meaning to play around with postimages - I signed up to one Ellen recommended, I think - might have been something else.  Once the art groups end for the season, I'll have time to experiment with that.  It would be good to be able to post images again. 

I don't get to paint these days; at least, I paint walls and window frames, just not the fun kind of painting.  So busy looking after other people who are here to paint, no time to do it myself.  I've told my husband that when we retire, I'm going to go on art holidays!  Since being here, he's now expressed an interest in learning to draw, so when we go away on holiday in a couple of weeks' time, I'm going to dig him out a sketchbook and find my pencils and drawing pens so we can do a bit of sketching while we're away.

Only one more art course this year before we're finished for the season though.  The end is in sight!

Do you paint, JC

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Inca said:

Somewhere, there's a painting I did of Little Joe, but no idea where I put it! 

I've been meaning to play around with postimages - I signed up to one Ellen recommended, I think - might have been something else.  Once the art groups end for the season, I'll have time to experiment with that.  It would be good to be able to post images again. 

I don't get to paint these days; at least, I paint walls and window frames, just not the fun kind of painting.  So busy looking after other people who are here to paint, no time to do it myself.  I've told my husband that when we retire, I'm going to go on art holidays!  Since being here, he's now expressed an interest in learning to draw, so when we go away on holiday in a couple of weeks' time, I'm going to dig him out a sketchbook and find my pencils and drawing pens so we can do a bit of sketching while we're away.

Only one more art course this year before we're finished for the season though.  The end is in sight!

Do you paint, JC

Good for you -- sounds like you need a holiday!

In answer to your question -- no, at least not in the traditional sense.  I do my painting with words.  :wink:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, debbiejo said:

Sp, you are quite talented.  You captured the "glassiness of an eye" quite well. :thumbsup2:

Thanks, Debbiejo!  I was honestly surprised at how much detail can be captured with watercolor. The fur and the dark skin beneath the eye, for example--I didn't realize watercolor could do that. I'm more used to seeing watercolor in light, airy, gauzy interpretations.  (And perhaps that is the truly correct way to use it--I don't have any idea!)

My second learning project is something larger--a portrait of a buffalo on a large sheet of watercolor paper. I can't promise that it will see the light of day! :rolleyes:  Again, it has been interesting to try to depict the wide variety of textures to be found on a buffalo--all that thick, curly hair is a challenge.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, southplains said:

Thanks, Debbiejo!  I was honestly surprised at how much detail can be captured with watercolor. The fur and the dark skin beneath the eye, for example--I didn't realize watercolor could do that. I'm more used to seeing watercolor in light, airy, gauzy interpretations.  (And perhaps that is the truly correct way to use it--I don't have any idea!)

There's no right or wrong way.  Painting's about creativity.  If you enjoy the process and the finished article, how can it be wrong?

I think traditional watercolourists would say watercolour should be applied in layers of wash, with fine details added later, but who cares? 

Have you tried soft pastels at all, SP?  I only ask because I know lots of people that like painting animals seem to enjoy painting them in pastel.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Inca said:

Have you tried soft pastels at all, SP?  I only ask because I know lots of people that like painting animals seem to enjoy painting them in pastel.

Many, many years ago, as a teen, I worked with pastels a bit, Inca. They were the type that is like a piece of chalk, and I wasn't crazy about it because it was difficult to get fine detail that way.

I've been interested in trying colored pencils as well!