Summer Pies! What's Your Favorite?

2 hours ago, faust said:

Ah, I understand. We call the unbaked version "Philadelphia Pie" because it is made with Philadelphia cream cheese. A cheese cake hereabouts will always be a baked one.

I do have a wonderful recipe with streusels/ crumbles, if you're interested. It's an all family favourite.

I'd love to see it.  Family recipes are always the best. <G>

4 hours ago, mcfair_58 said:

I'd love to see it.  Family recipes are always the best. <G>

Here you are:

German Cheesecake

Dough:
160 g wheat flour
1/2 p baking powder
75 g sugar
1 p. vanilla sugar
a pinch of salt
1 egg
75 g butter, softened

Filling:
750 g low fat quark
150 g sugar
3 tsp lemon juice
50 g cornflour
250 ml cream, whipped
3 egg whites, whipped
3 egg yolks

Streusel:
100 g wheat flour
75 g sugar
1 p vanilla sugar
75 g butter, softened

Mix all dough ingredients, knead them thoroughly. Roll the dough to fit in a cake springform pan, grease pan and put in the dough. Prick dough repeatedly with a fork.

Bake at 200 °C for about 10 minutes.

Scramble quark, sugar, lemon juice, cornflour, and egg yolk, carefully add whipped cream and whipped egg white. Spread evenly over the cake base.

Knead flour, sugar, vanilla sugar, and butter into streusel. Spread those evenly over the quark mixture.

Bake at 160 – 170 °C for 70 – 90 minutes until the filing isn’t fluid anymore (check after 70 minutes, then every 5 to 10 minutes).

It's a dairy product. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(dairy_product)

I wasn't aware it's something not common in the US. Sorry. I guess you can substitute it with a mixture from cream cheese and Greek yogurt. I wouldn't use pure cream cheese, for I think it would be too heavy and would lack the fresh note that quark adds.

The cake rises immensely while baking (it usually goes down again when cooling, so don't think you've done something wrong then), and tastes best when still a little warm. It's very light, almost fluffy, and the slight fresh sourness of the filling goes wonderfully with the sweet streusel.

6 hours ago, faust said:

It's a dairy product. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(dairy_product)

I wasn't aware it's something not common in the US. Sorry. I guess you can substitute it with a mixture from cream cheese and Greek yogurt. I wouldn't use pure cream cheese, for I think it would be too heavy and would lack the fresh note that quark adds.

The cake rises immensely while baking (it usually goes down again when cooling, so don't think you've done something wrong then), and tastes best when still a little warm. It's very light, almost fluffy, and the slight fresh sourness of the filling goes wonderfully with the sweet streusel.

It would be interesting to see if one of our more exclusive markets like Trader Joe's would carry quark.  They do have unusual cheeses from other nations.  

Ah yeah, it seem unripened farmer cheese is the equivalent to quark, or at least hat comes very close.

Isn't it funny how you'll find different food products in countries that seem quite similar in the general way of living? 

I shouldn't be so surprise, however. I remember how fascinated I was when I saw the dairy products in England. They have a much bigger variety in cream than we have. Things like extra thick low fat cream, whippable or not whippable. On the other hand, out English friends are always amazed about the variety in bread you get in Germany. (And sausages, of course. Just to comply with the cliche.   :lol: )

wildwestkatie

My favorite pie is an apple pie, but not the traditional pie, but more like one big apple turn over. I bake it on an extra large cookie sheet covered with non-stick aluminum foil, because some of the juices always seems to seep out, but it's so yummy and caramelized.  I make the pie crust using 3 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 cup crisco, 1/2 cup milk, and 1 egg yolk.  Save the egg white. You mix the milk and yolk together and set aside. You then mix the remaining ingredients together and then add the milk milk mixture. You divide into 2 evenly size balls of dough. On a floured surface, (I usually have waxed paper under each dough so I can set them aside easily), you roll out the first ball into an oblong shape. You want to make sure it's even on all size since you will be filling it with apple filling. Place it on the cookie sheet. Roll out the second dough and set aside. I always use Macintosh apples. You mix 6 cups of slice apples, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 Tbsp. flour, and 1 to 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, (according to your liking). You mix well and spoon filling onto the bottom crust trying to keep it in the middle as best possible. You want to add dots of butter on top. I never measure this. Just little dots all on top. You cover it  with the other crust and seal it by pinching the edges. You brush with the egg white. You bake it at 375 for 45 minutes or till golden brown. After it's cooled, you make a glaze using 1 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar, 1/8 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla, and 2-3 Tbsp. milk. Drizzle it over apple pie turn over. It is so delicious. I get requests for it all the time. I hope you all enjoy it too. It's easier to make than it sounds. Hope you guys like it. 

I have to admit - my grandmother destroyed my taste for pies when I was little. If you'd asked me ten years ago, I would have declared that I'd sworn off pies for the rest of my life, but my mom made me change my point of view. At least partly.:cooking:

(I realize this anecdote is as off topic as I could ever get, so feel free to skip my description and "recipe"): 

Grandma was terrified that I would consume too many calories when I was three and four years old, so she skipped giving me normal lunch. Then in the afternoon, she suddenly went from being terrified of overfeeding me to convinced that I was going to starve to death before my dad came to pick me up. So what did she do? She (more or less) force fed me with her homemade low calorie apple pie. Practically no fat, and artificial sweetener instead of sugar. Flour, water, sour slices of apple and chemicals. The crust was like chewing on a piece of cardboard. The apples were completely uneatable. :eek:

Eighteen years passed, and I stayed away from pies - especially apple pies. Until my mother convinced me to try her apple pie after I helped her make one. And guess what? It was eatable. Not in excessive amounts, but a couple of teaspoons and without pressure to finish what was on my plate it was actually... kind of good. And "normal" people tend to really like it. :wink:    :eat2:

My favorite is what we called Lemon Pie, but it's not like those kind that you buy, or Mrs. Smiths'.  It has more of a consistency of key lime pie.

1 box of vanilla wafers crushed

1 stick butter melted

combine the two for the crust and put in your dish.  We always used glass.

1 can condensed milk

Juice from 2 large, or 3 small lemons (you can do the bottled kind, but it's not as good)

2 large eggs

separate eggs, put yokes, condensed milk and lemon juice in bowl and mix. 

place mix on top of crust.

beat egg whites until stiff, slowly add 1/4 cup sugar  mixture should be able to not fall out of the bowl when turned upside down.

Put meringue on top of mixture, make curly swirls in it and place in oven and broil until you get the color meringue that you want. About 15 minutes usually.  Let cool, then chill in fridge

Yummy Yummy