Summer Pies! What's Your Favorite?

hum...I love pies, even if i don't eat too much pastries.

My favorite : Apricot pie.  (my own) I'm not sure if my cooking words are good, sorry.

Ingredients :

*Pastry, as you want, I made my own sweet shortcrust pastry (pâte sablée), but you can use other type (sometimes I take pastry all made : "brisée" or "feuilletée".

*Apricots, of course (for a pie)

*butter (a little)

*sugar (depending of your taste more or less sweet. I don't like too much sweet, personally)

*Speculos

Preparation :

*cut the apricots in 2 parts. remove the core (better, LOL). In a frying pan, put a little butter, and made caramelized the apricots, with sugar. But not too much). When you think it's OK, stop the fire.

* In a blender, reduce speculos in powder (10 speculos)

* put your pastry in a mold, and on the pastry put the powder of speculos, spread evenly on the pastry. (Speculos gives a wonderful taste at this pie, and the powder of biscuit enables to the pie to keep its crusty, the powder absorbed the juice of the fruit, but not the pastry. Not sure if I am clear)

*distribute the apricots on the pastry, and dust with cane sugar in powder (idem, depending of your taste)

OVEN 190 °C (for a convection oven) during 35 mn (or maybe  more. I think you have the habit of your own oven)

(Now, I wonder if last year, I hadn't already given this recipe...I have a doubt. Sorry if it's the case)

I love cherry pie, used to make them all the time before I was married.  My Mom and Mother-in-Law always made the pies and desserts so I never got to make them.  They are both gone now so I'm trying to get back in practice.  Hopefully I can find some cherries at the Farmer's Market on Thursday and try to make a cherry pie for the first time in about 30 years.

here is a recipe for mini fruit pies which are ideal for a summer picnic, after making these Clementine maybe able to woo Ben at the next summer picnic, she will have to make extra for Hoss

for pastry 225gr/8oz plain flour                     filling 225gr/8oz strawberries

110gr/4oz butter                                     150gr/6oz raspberries

80gr/3oz caster sugar                              splash of champagne

plus 3tbps caster sugar                             handful of chopped mint leaves                                 

1 lge egg                                                  cornish clotted cream

1 egg white beaten

3 tbsp flake almonds                                                                         

to make pastry rub butter into flour to resemble breadcrumbs, add sugar bind together with the egg to form a dough. Roll out pastry and line 12 bun tins brush with the egg white, sprinkle almonds over each and scatter rest of sugar of each of them Bake for 20-25 mins at 180c or 350F

To take to the picnic

put fruit in sealable  containers at site pour over champagne and sprinkle mint over. fill the tarts with the clotted cream and then top each one with the fruit

off course you will have to finish off the champagne but if like me that shouldn't be a problem

I'm new here and joining in.  <G>  Shoo-fly or Molasses pie, unfortunately. Mega calories and lots of ingredients I am allergic to.  :surprise:  I first had it in Pennsylvania Dutch country (as it was called) when I was a kid, and have been hooked ever since.  It consists of layers of molasses and flour for the most part.  Dark and sugary and perfect hot with whippd cream. 

23 minutes ago, MicheleBE1115 said:

We live next door in Maryland, so when we go to Lancaster, PA, we try to have some Shoo-fly pie.

My aunt lived in Massachusetts and we went through PA every year to get to her home when we visited.  I begged for Shoo-fly pie so much my mother finally found a recipe and we made it at home, but it was never as good as what I got in the restaurants.  Its harder to make than it looks! 

there's one pie I'll try to do, I've got the recept from :germany: my friend gave it to me....  : "A sweet and creamy rhubarb custard filling topped with meringue."

• 3 eggs, separated

• 1 (9 inch) unbaked single pie crust

• 3 cups chopped rhubarb

• 1 cup white sugar

• 1 cup half-and-half

• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

• 1 pinch salt

• 1/4 cup white sugar

• 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Place egg yolks into a large bowl; place egg whites in a separate glass or metal bowl.

3. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish. Spread rhubarb into bottom of crust. Whisk 1 cup sugar, half-and-half, flour, and salt into egg yolks until smooth. Pour mixture over rhubarb.

4. Bake in the preheated oven until pie crust is browned and filling is set, 50 to 60 minutes.

5. Beat egg whites until stiff using an electric mixer; gradually beat 1/4 cup sugar and cream of tartar into egg whites to make a glossy meringue. Spoon meringue over pie filling, going right to the edge of the crust and covering all the filling. Use a spoon or spatula to make decorative swirls in the meringue.

6. Return pie to oven and bake until meringue is lightly browned, 10 more minutes. Best served slightly warm.

She gave me a german version, and I found this english version. Almost the same. I'll try it; and try it, and enjoy it 

1 hour ago, mumu74 said:

there's one pie I'll try to do, I've got the recept from :germany: my friend gave it to me....  : "A sweet and creamy rhubarb custard filling topped with meringue."

• 3 eggs, separated

• 1 (9 inch) unbaked single pie crust

• 3 cups chopped rhubarb

• 1 cup white sugar

• 1 cup half-and-half

• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

• 1 pinch salt

• 1/4 cup white sugar

• 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

<snip> 

She gave me a german version, and I found this english version. Almost the same. I'll try it; and try it, and enjoy it 

Rhubarb was my Dad's favorite.  My mom could never understand it!  :huh:

4 minutes ago, Ruth said:

Maybe it depends on whether you grow rhubarb and whether its a family thing? My mother, both grandmother's and a great-grandmother all made rhubarb pie. Its good but these days I have a tendency toward acid reflux and rhubarb pie would make it worse.

I've tasted it with two technics : fresh rhubard, and mashed rhubarb, and both were perfect. So I'll try mine with mashed rhubard. And my german friend already made one with frozen rhubarb and it worked too.... :lol: 

5 minutes ago, mumu74 said:

I've tasted it with two technics : fresh rhubard, and mashed rhubarb, and both were perfect. So I'll try mine with mashed rhubard. And my german friend already made one with frozen rhubarb and it worked too.... :lol: 

I used to eat it straight off the vine as a kid.  Somehow the pies are always too sweet for me?  How sweet is this one? 

Just now, mcfair_58 said:

I used to eat it straight off the vine as a kid.  Somehow the pies are always too sweet for me?  How sweet is this one? 

there's a subtil mix between acidity from fruit and sweetness from meringue. It's what I appreciate. This double-sensation... not too much. Just perfect. 

It's not really a summer pie but still: apple pie is it. Here's my favourite recipe:

250 g wheat flour
1 p. dry yeast
50 g sugar
2 tsp. vanilla sugar
1 egg
50 g butter
100 ml milk (lukewarm)

Mix all the above ingredients together, and knead them for a good time – the longer the better. Then cover the bowl and place at a warm place (in the oven at 40 °C or on the radiator) for about half an hour (or place it in the fridge over night.)

Grease a large cake tin or a small baking sheet and spread the dough into it.

about 1 kg apples (not too sweet ones, a tasty sort)
30 g butter, melted
50 g sugar (white or brown to our taste)
ground cinnamon
ground coriander seeds
a handful of  pumpkin or sunflower seeds

Peel apples, cut them into slices (six to eight per apple depending on their size) and remove the cores. Place the apple slices tightly packed in concentric circles on the dough.

Spread butter over the apples, scatter sugar over them and season with cinnamon and coriander. Spread the seeds over the cake and put into the oven at 200 °C for about 20 minutes.