The Real Deal - A Young Working Cowboy In Today's World

southplains
On 4/7/2016 at 4:47 PM, MicheleBE1115 said:

I'm enjoying these pictures, SP!

Glad you are enjoying them, Michele! Thank you for letting me know. Honestly, I do often wonder if anyone is really interested, or if everyone just finds this thread incredibly boring and tedious! :smile:

7 hours ago, Inca said:

Hopefully it's the calves we're referring to here and not your son, SP.  After all, he's only just planning his wedding!

Inca, I asked him, and he assured me he had not nicked himself. (Although it has happened before.)

Currently he is taking some very quick horseshoeing lessons from a friend who does that for a living. He will be too far back in the wilderness to get a farrier, so he has to be able to do it himself.

southplains
8 hours ago, Ruth said:

Trust me - its not tedious.   I didn't even realize however that the thread had new posts this week.  It goes through long stretches with nothing added - I ignore it for a couple of days or so and more posts magically appear when least expected.

:lol: Well, I'm glad to hear it! I do apologize for the infrequency of the posts--this has been an exceptionally busy year for me, what with Dakota getting married this coming weekend. The wedding is here, while the bride's parents are two hours away in San Antonio, which means the bulk of the preparations fall to us. Almost over now, though!

And of course some of the sparse posting is due to the fact that I'm fearful of just posting the same old sort of stuff all the time. Plus I have to rely on Dakota or a partner for photos, since I'm not always out there, and they aren't always cooperative on that end. :rolleyes:  Sometimes, of course, it is because they have their hands too full to take photos--a shame, since that is probably when the most exciting action happens.

A friend from Montana shared this pic of the Beartooth Highway. This section of road is very near where Dakota and his bride are headed for his new cowboying job. Those poor little hothouse kids are going to freeze. It's difficult enough to move from a subtropical climate to one like that, but he has to work out in it. All day.  Every day, regardless of weather.  He is going to appreciate his home state like he never did before, lol!  The heat doesn't bother him, but I think severe cold will be a different story. I'm telling you, I'll just be BRIMMING with fanfic ideas after this experience!  :biggrin:

12495082_1201709736506928_52343208338647

southplains
4 minutes ago, jfclover said:

I saw that pic on FB.  Isn't that Yellowstone?

Yes, I posted it on FB, and yes, it is on the way into Yellowstone. From July through September, Dakota and Sarah will be living in a cabin WITHIN Yellowstone, up on a mountain. With no electricity or running water other than the creek behind the cabin. Then they will come back down into the valley, back to relative civilization.

southplains

The area of Yellowstone where he and Sarah will be holed up from July through September is somewhere within the red circle.  Best I can figure, anyway.  I'll have to have them pinpoint it more exactly when they get up there. Not that I'll be able to contact them. No cellphone service.

13000615_1175021592509179_1188510453_o.j

southplains
1 hour ago, jfclover said:

I was scrolling through pics on FB,  Didn't realized you'd posted, sp. :lol:  

In my case, I'll see something, want to go back to it, and then forget who posted it!  :rolleyes:  With this one, I stole it from a friend from Montana, who got it from someone else. I wanted to show Dakota and Sarah what they are in for!

18 hours ago, southplains said:

Inca, I asked him, and he assured me he had not nicked himself. (Although it has happened before.)

Currently he is taking some very quick horseshoeing lessons from a friend who does that for a living. He will be too far back in the wilderness to get a farrier, so he has to be able to do it himself.

I meant the castrating. :lol:  Just before your wedding might not be the best time.

Then again....

On 4/10/2016 at 7:10 AM, southplains said:

And of course some of the sparse posting is due to the fact that I'm fearful of just posting the same old sort of stuff all the time. Plus I have to rely on Dakota or a partner for photos, since I'm not always out there, and they aren't always cooperative on that end. :rolleyes:  Sometimes, of course, it is because they have their hands too full to take photos--a shame, since that is probably when the most exciting action happens.

All the more reason to get a GoPro mounted to his cowboy hat band!

Love these posts, SP.  Don't stop!