The Real Deal - A Young Working Cowboy In Today's World

On 9/7/2020 at 6:49 AM, southplains said:

Remember in The Crucible when Adam was finally driven over the edge? I've seen a lot of fans voice the opinion that a good part of his loss of control was due to the fact that he'd been "forced to eat with his fingers like an animal." I've always laughed out loud at that claim. Nobody who has ever had any experience with cowboys would ever believe that. Such an opinion is based in no way on reality. Cowboys are not afraid of germs or of eating with their hands in dirty conditions. Not today, and certainly not in the 1800s. So let's cross that idea off our list, shall we? :wink: 

I ate a lot of dirt as a kid and it hasn't hurt me one bit . . . almost 72 and take no meds at all.   

• Like 1

I don’t get why people are so squicked out by Adam eating with dirty hands. When I used to do field work I ate my lunch (or snacks if I had room for them in my backpack) with filthy hands. Water had to be carried in the backpack so it was for drinking, not hand washing; I wiped my hands down on my pants. 

The “animal” thing in The Crucible is, I think, more to do with Kane eating with utensils while seated at a table draped with a tablecloth. I don’t get how that is supposed to dehumanize or humiliate Adam. Darned scriptwriters!

• Like 1
Sierra Girl

I always reckon it's more because Kane is watching Adam so judgementally as he has to eat with his fingers which makes Adam so embarassed. I mean, we see him eat with his fingers in other episodes, but here Kane is testing and pushing that that's why he has a problem with it. But's thats a whole other thread!

Great to see this thread revived once more with these fabulous photos...  Sarah deserved to win an award for that superb pic of Dakota.

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

I'm so glad you're adding to this thread again, SP--the photographs and scenery are so beautiful! Sarah is a very talented photographer.

As for the business of Adam having to eat with his fingers, maybe you just had to "be there" to understand why Kane got under Adam's skin so thoroughly. I've always reckoned that Kane and Joe would have had no particular problem, and if it had been Hoss who came along the pair of them would probably probably have struck that elusive vein of gold together. (Although who, really knowing him, could manage to hate Hoss?)

Trying to understand the ins and outs of the Adam/Kane relationship has certainly generated a great many stories, including a superb one of yours! Thank you again for that!

• Like 1

Lovely photo.  I love a good sky!

Talking about eating with dirty hands, the image that stays with me is of the chap who used to come to empty our septic tank in our last house.  When his lorry pulled up outside the house, the kids would all run inside and pull all the doors and windows shut as they were wise to the smells that accompanied the emptying.  Will never forget said chappie, having dragged the big pipe across the lawn and got the emptying process under way, standing there with a contented smile on his face while he tucked into his sandwiches.  No handwash prior to munching his lunch, and with the delicate odour of disturbed sewage wafting all around.

Still, he was happy.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
southplains
On 9/9/2020 at 11:53 PM, sklamb said:

As for the business of Adam having to eat with his fingers, maybe you just had to "be there" to understand why Kane got under Adam's skin so thoroughly. I've always reckoned that Kane and Joe would have had no particular problem, and if it had been Hoss who came along the pair of them would probably probably have struck that elusive vein of gold together. (Although who, really knowing him, could manage to hate Hoss?)

Trying to understand the ins and outs of the Adam/Kane relationship has certainly generated a great many stories, including a superb one of yours! Thank you again for that!

It certainly is a situation that is full of wildly varying and never-ending possibilities!