Rewriting A Rose For Lotta

Okay, so this may be in the wrong forum, sorry. I was watching A Rose for Lotta yesterday morning, and while seasoned Bonanza fans can appreciate it and even be amused by this raw episode, I can't help but feel that if this was the only episode a newbie ever watched, they'd hate it and decide that those of us who enjoy the show are just plain stupid.

So, knowing how the characters evolved in subsequent seasons, what would you do to make this dorky little episode more appealing? I have a few ideas...

roselotta4.jpg

FIrst of all, this entire scene would be done with Little Joe in his skintight pants and shirtless. Maybe even in the front yard so he's sweating a lot. Start creating Joe lovers before the first commercial.

roselotta16.jpg

Second, Adam would not have been so much of an ass to his hot little bro (Sorry, Adam lovers). He picked a fight with Joe and threw the first punch. Nothing like the cool, restrained Adam we're used to. Plus they should have showed his manly biceps more. They're pretty impressive in this ep. Shut up, Southplains - they are.

roselotta14.jpg

Pa should have known better here...leaving the panting, girl-crazy, hormone-loaded son alone with the hot actress who wasn't even wearing a blue dress? But then again, how else could she set the boy up for the planned kidnapping?

Which totally didn't happen by the way. Not even close. And no rope. What the hey? Everyone knows that rope makes anything better.

So that's a few thoughts from me...what are your ideas for making this episode better?

roselotta14.jpg

Pa should have known better here...leaving the panting, girl-crazy, hormone-loaded son alone with the hot actress who wasn't even wearing a blue dress? But then again, how else could she set the boy up for the planned kidnapping?

Which totally didn't happen by the way. Not even close. And no rope. What the hey? Everyone knows that rope makes anything better.

So that's a few thoughts from me...what are your ideas for making this episode better?

Hee hee. The pic where Joe has ass's ears. How very Midsummer Night.

Personally, with that epee scene, I'd do away with the pants too. Even the skintight ones. (Ooops! As you say, this could be the wrong forum. Just trying to save a few bucks on the wardrobe budget....)

In fact, if they just did the whole ep shirtless, exactly the same way, it would be 1000% better and you wouldn't need to change the plot at all.

BUT, if they insisted on shirts (bor-ring!), they could just market the ep as a comedy. That's the way I think of it anyway. That leering scene is priceless. Here's Joe's face....

LJ2.jpg

And Pa doing his "Mad pirate" impression is a never to be repeated moment...

BZ8.jpg

BUT...Adam girls hang onto your black hats (except he's not the man in black yet)...you can't beat this for an Adam shot, IMO, so we have ARFL to thank for this....

Adam.jpg

Adam would wear chaps the entire episode!
RoseForLotta20.jpg

Hoss wouldn't lick his lips unless he was tucking into Hop Sing's pork roast. It's downright creepy that Hoss seems to see Lotta as a family-sized bucket of KFC original recipe.
RoseForLotta29.jpg

Hop Sing would unleash some jujitsu moves on a bad guy while cooking up breakfast for the Cartwrights.
RoseForLotta36.jpg

Inca's right: this is totally a comedy, although it probably wasn't intended to be. :D

It's one of my favorite eps, partly because it's so over-the-top hilarious and campy-in-retrospect. But mostly for that final kiss. For sheer hotness, that's Adam's best kiss, IMHO. (For understated passion, it's the hand kiss in "The Hopefuls.") Aside from the kiss, I'm with you, lisamarie: it's the biceps. :drool

Patina's take on Hoss ("Mmm, Lotta...finger-lickin' good!") is spot-on. :rotfl He does slobber like a village idiot, doesn't he? Just as funny is Ben, guffawing like a demented Santa Claus and kowtowing to Hop Sing. Sing is pretty cartoonish in this one, too. Were the writers serious? (Yes, I'm afraid they were...it was still the 1950s, after all.)

My kids and I like to pop this one in occasionally and enjoy. I don't know how much of their "enjoyment" is "Humor Mom," but whatever. I'll take it.

Even as an Adam lover I have to agree about his being unjustifiably harsh toward Joe in the scene where they fight. I'm also not especially thrilled with the way he threatens Lotta at one point. I do prefer the cooler, more restrained character he became. The other thing I think really needs to be changed is the way Ben talks so gruffly, and especially the way he addresses Hop Sing. THAT makes me cringe!

Oh, and somebody needs to remind Joe that his mother's name was Marie...not Felicia!

For me the two scenes that make this episode watchable are the gunfight between Adam and Poole with the dramatic closeups of their eyes, and that kiss between Adam and Lotta at the end. Those should stay exactly as they are!

debpet :adam

Oh, can we please leave out the part where Joe puposely scatters the clean laundry on the floor and laughs while he does it? While Adam is pretty much a jerk in the way he treats Joe in the fight scene, so is Joe pretty much an obnoxious brat in the way he acts during the throwing laundry scene.

Sooo glad the actors quickly got to the heart of their characters!

Oh, can we please leave out the part where Joe puposely scatters the clean laundry on the floor and laughs while he does it? While Adam is pretty much a jerk in the way he treats Joe in the fight scene, so is Joe pretty much an obnoxious brat in the way he acts during the throwing laundry scene.

Sooo glad the actors quickly got to the heart of their characters!

:o On the contrary, I think Joe was absolutely hilarious! How is his throwing the laundry BACK at Hop Ling obnoxious or bratty???

Hop Ling started it!

Besides... Joe deserved to have a little laugh... he had just been thrown while IN the laundry basket. ;)

:o On the contrary, I think Joe was absolutely hilarious! How is his throwing the laundry BACK at Hop Ling obnoxious or bratty???

Hop Ling started it!

Besides... Joe deserved to have a little laugh... he had just been thrown while IN the laundry basket. ;)

Joe burned down Chinatown while laughing like a maniac. I for one am very glad Joe left his interest in pyromania behind after ARFL!