Conversations With A Young Horse Wrangler

southplains

On a ranch, a horse is a tool. Sure, we love them and we're proud of them but at the end of the day they're still livestock and sometimes things happen. A ranch is still a business, and if a horse can't pull his weight it's either time to retire him or he needs to go on to be harvested to feed somebody else.

Sound like anybody we know in the Hayburner episode? :rolleyes

southplains

Poor Young Horse Wrangler has been too busy working to post anything recently. They are shorthanded. According to his dad (these numbers might be wrong--correct me if they are, Dakota) he is riding through and checking 5,400 head of cattle per day, for a total of about 162,000 head per month.

Compared to this, the Cartwrights were SLACKERS! :lol

Dakota, hopefully you'll get a chance to come back to this thread someday soon - I am just catching up and wanted to Thank you so much for the fascinating answers to my questions on wild horses and rodeo horses. Your experience is precious to us and your answers informative and entertaining! Hope to see you back here soon!

Top Hand Cattle Co.

Tomorrow is one of my days off so I'll try to post something. Right now I'm looking at anywhere from 6500 to 8500 head a day and I'll probably be somewhere around the 200,000 mark for the month.