Conversations With A Young Horse Wrangler

Oh my gosh, that is so exciting!!

I am not sure if this makes a difference, copyright wise, but when I posted that Cartwright/elf video Christmas card on YouTube, I chose the option of making the video available to “only those who had the link”. Then when I posted the link on Washoe Diggings, only you Brand folks were able to view the video, but no one else on YouTube can see it.

I am not sure if this makes a difference, copyright wise, but when I posted that Cartwright/elf video Christmas card on YouTube, I chose the option of making the video available to “only those who had the link”. Then when I posted the link on Washoe Diggings, only you Brand folks were able to view the video, but no one else on YouTube can see it.

Right - I sent it to my granddaughter so she could pick out JOE and it wouldn't open :(

But she can always watch it here - no problem! :)

Thanks for the tip, Bonzan! I'll try that. :)

Hey everybody, this is Dakota. First off, thank you for all the well wishes. Its been nice to just take it easy for awhile but I'm more than ready to get back to work. When this thread began, I figured it would be a couple questions and that's it. I'm very excited to see that so many people are curious to see and know about how its really done, especially in a time when most kids my age wouldn't be caught dead cowboyin'. I think it should first be said that I am not a cowboy, I'm a wrangler. I deal with horses every day without fail. And while I do rope, pen and work cattle pretty often, I hate cows. Well, maybe not hate, but definitely strongly dislike. Bulls are more my speed. I'm on the road a lot but I'll keep up with this thread as often as I can.

Im hoping to get to the first questions sometime this weekend. My traveling partners and I are going to a bull riding tonight and we plan on riding some colts tomorrow and bucking some younger bulls Sunday. But ill be sure to bring a pen and paper so I can at least jot some ideas down and maybe get some insight from some other young cowhands so it wont be just my opinion. At least Ill have something to do while we're going down the road and I'm sitting on the fence. (If it was up to me Id be jumping right back in the fight, but I guess I should listen to the doctors and Momma for at least a little while.)

I am so glad PernellSulli bumped this thread back up... I gather Dakota is all patched up and literally back in the saddle! Great! I hope he finds time to answer our numerous questions.. Dakota??? Are you there??

This is Southplains--the real Southplains, not the younger version. :D I was just thinking about this yesterday. We haven't had two nickels' worth of time lately to rub together, and so haven't gotten this thing going as quickly as we had expected. (It was probably a bad idea to start so near the holidays.) Hoping to do something about it very soon!

Here are a few questions concerning branding. When a rancher buys branded stock from another rancher and puts his/her own brand on the cattle/horses, once the brand is healed, how does one tell to whom the critter belongs? When branding, does the rancher put the brand on a certain place on all of his animals or can it be put where ever it happens to be convient with that particular critter? If s/he has to put it on one specific place, what if the rancher buys cattle with a brand already in that place? If a rancher 'buys' the brand and cattle of a rancher going out of business, how long does s/he have to keep the brand registered in his/her name?

Thanks.

Spotted Pony

Thanks for the question, Spotted Pony! I'll tell Dakota to add it to the list. I do know right off the top of my head that it doesn't really matter where the brand is. We had a Palomino cutting horse a couple of years ago that had more than one brand. Either two or three, I can't remember which for sure, but I do know that he had at least one brand on his hip and one on his shoulder from different ranches.

Hey everybody, this is Dakota. First off, thank you for all the well wishes. Its been nice to just take it easy for awhile but I'm more than ready to get back to work. When this thread began, I figured it would be a couple questions and that's it. I'm very excited to see that so many people are curious to see and know about how its really done, especially in a time when most kids my age wouldn't be caught dead cowboyin'. I think it should first be said that I am not a cowboy, I'm a wrangler. I deal with horses every day without fail. And while I do rope, pen and work cattle pretty often, I hate cows. Well, maybe not hate, but definitely strongly dislike. Bulls are more my speed. I'm on the road a lot but I'll keep up with this thread as often as I can.

Just catching up with this thread. Hopefully, you're all healed by now, Dakota. (By the way, tell your mother to wear a helmet and not to worry if she looks like some sort of Eastern wimp. After all, she's not as young as she used to be. :P )

So why wouldn't people your age be caught dead cowboyin'? Are there females doing this work these days, or is it primarily guys?

What's the difference between a cowboy and a wrangler? Is it the cow/horse thing, or is it something else?

I know of at least one teen aged boy who would love to be a full time cowboy. He's over on the Louis L'Amour boards and has told us how much he loves working on his grandfather's ranch in the Dakotas,he's from Tennessee, any time he can get there. It would be an interesting discussion of the differences in ranching in Texas versus the Dakotas.

Spotted Pony

Yes, there are definitely a few teens who would enjoy the cowboying life! Dakota has to work cattle, but he doesn't like cattle much. (He didn't take after me there, because I always truly enjoyed being around our cattle.) His preference is working with horses. But the thing is, when you go into the high schools today, you really won't find many kids who are interested in that sort of work, especially the cattle part. Or if they think they are interested, they really don't understand much about what it entails.

Hoping to have Dakota take a look at this thread soon. Right now he isn't available, as he is in Mississippi on a hay buying trip. Mostly cow hay, but I'm hoping he can snag some good horse hay for us as well, because we are OUT.

Hoping to have Dakota take a look at this thread soon. Right now he isn't available, as he is in Mississippi on a hay buying trip. Mostly cow hay, but I'm hoping he can snag some good horse hay for us as well, because we are OUT.

There again, I am clueless. I had no idea there was a difference between horse hay and cow hay. :lol

This thread is great!