Cheaux

2019 Writing Challenges

Cheaux

2019 Writing Challenges

On Brand, opportunities to write abound every month.  Participate in as many or as few as your time allows.  Announcements are made in the Virginia City Literary Society (VLCS) Challenge Subforum.  Some challenges require signing up in advance.  Posted stories earn a badge.  Be sure to follow the Challenge Subforum to receive notification.

New authors must meet requirements (see Brand Library Guide)

This year we are reviving some “classic” VCLS challenges and putting others on hiatus (absence makes the heart grow fonder!)

In 2019 we will offer:

Semi-monthly and Monthly Challenges:

·         Prompts for Pinecones are posted on the 1st and 15th of the month. 

·         Chaps and Spurs five (5) words are posted on the 1st. [Classic Revival]

·         Monthly Theme Challenges:

January  

•  Better Late than NeverSecond (and last) chance to finish a 2018 Challenge story lingering in your WIP folder.   POSTED

February  [New Challenge]

• Hop Sing’s Fortune Cookie Challenge A story based on the wisdom found in a fortune cookie.  Announcement in January.  Chinese New Year runs from February 5-19.  A different fortune posted each day. 

March

• Poetry Challenge – Will it be haiku, cinquain, limerick, ode, free verse, iambic pentameter?  Find out in February.

April/May/June  [Classic Revival]

• Round Robin – Up to 6 authors in a group will write a story and edit it together before posting.  Announcement and signups in March.

June/July/August

• Ponderosa Paddlewheel Poker Tournament – A BonanzaBrand Classic Challenge.  Words/phrases assigned to a regular deck of cards.  Each table uses its own deck.  Table winner badge plus overall tournament winner badge.  Signups in June.

September

• 12th Anniversary Ranch House Studios R rated Challenge – Brandsters pick the theme.   Must be 18 to participate in the R forums. 

October

• Bonanza Spooktacular! Write a spooky story involving one or all of the Cartwights.  Announcement in September.

November

• BoNaNo – It’s all about unfiltered, unedited writing.  Signups in October. [Brand Classic Challenge]

December

• Advent Calendar – faust hosts this annual Challenge which has become a Bonanza Brand classic.  Signups in November.

Edited by Cheaux
  • Like 2

patina
12 hours ago, Cheaux said:

• Hop Sing’s Fortune Cookie Challenge A story based on the wisdom found in a fortune cookie.  Announcement in January.  Chinese New Year runs from February 5-19.  A different fortune posted each day. 

I’m intrigued by this challenge! Some fortunes are deep and thought-provoking while others seem silly. Should make for some good stories!

• Like 2

SJRCartwright

Chinese New Year - the animal of the year for 2019 is the Pig.  Wonder if the fortune cookie challenge will contain something porcine?

Sierra Girl

Looks like a great writing year! I've never done Chaps and Spurs before, and the Round Robin sounds great too. I think there's a big chance I'll do the Better Late Than Never - I started a story in 2017 BaNaNo, and continued it for Camp in the Pines 2018. Looks like 2019 it'll finally see the light of day! 

• Like 2

SJRCartwright

Chaps and Spurs?  Round Robin?  What am I missing here?  I am all over the website but don't seem to find these opportunities.  I'll sign up for them, of course!  I enjoy all the interaction with all of you!

patina
1 hour ago, SJRCartwright said:

Chaps and Spurs?  Round Robin?  What am I missing here?  I am all over the website but don't seem to find these opportunities.  I'll sign up for them, of course!  I enjoy all the interaction with all of you!

These are writing challenges that begin in January 2019.  Look for the Chaps and Spurs prompt next week (January).

The Round Robin signup, as posted by Cheaux at the start of this thread, will be in March.

SJRCartwright

Patina - Looking forward to trying all these writing opportunities.  I just submitted my first one to the library administrators, so hope I am stumbling along the correct path.  Thanks, as always, for all your patience, help and guidance.

Cheaux
1 hour ago, SJRCartwright said:

.  I just submitted my first one to the library administrators, so hope I am stumbling along the correct path.  Thanks, as always, for all your patience, help and guidance.

SJR, part of the requirements necessary to becoming an author eligible to put stories in the library is having 100 posts in the forums.   You're almost there, so keep posting!   

faust

I'm very happy to read the Chaps and Spurs is back. I fondly remember writing for it.

As usual, I really want to write more the coming year, but I am shy to declare I actually will succeed in doing it. Although the Chaps and Spurs might just be the thing that could help bring me back my mojo. Hope dies last.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.