AC1830

Cross Stitch, Crochet, Knitting

AC1830

During the December 29 Chat, several members mentioned they liked to knit, crochet or do cross stitch.

I'm starting this thread with the hope that anyone who wants to will display their work. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are a set of three mountain scenes I began many years ago in college.

I have completed two of them.  The third one (top right is the snowy slope in the photos (top right also)).  

When I pulled them out to take the pictures I realized the bottom left is Lake Tahoe. 

These are 18 count and make use of glitter thread as well as regular thread. 

Mountains_collage.jpg

These ornaments were made about the same time.  They were a start for me.  I still put them on my tree each year. 

Ornaments.jpg

Edited by AC1830
  • Like 3

JulieS

Even though I have done cross stitch and knitting in the past, I mainly do crocheting now.  I just finished a blanket that was made up of 48 x 12 inch (30cm) squares.  I have pictures of the completed project on my camera but here is what one of the completed squares looked like...

100_6145.JPG

• Like 5

BettyHT

AC -- those are works of art and the ornaments are cute

Julie -- that is amazing and to have done so many of them = Wow!  Post the finished product when you can.  I'm sure it is gorgeous.  The intricacy of the piece and the lacy quality is impressive!

• Thanks 1

Questfan

AC, those are lovely scenes and the ornaments are really cute.

Julie, that's beautiful work. I'm working on improving my crocheting at the moment and have started making poppies for the 5000 Poppies project. It might be something that would interest you.

https://5000poppies.wordpress.com/

Edited by Questfan
  • Thanks 1

Questfan

These are some of the smaller cross-stitches I have done. All of the bigger ones have been gifts for weddings or significant birthdays and I'm not sure where any photos are at the moment. My most challenging one was a wedding one with filament thread throughout. it had three bells in silver, gold and a pearly finish and every stitch had filament thread which is really fiddly. It was most definitely a labour of love!

26197978_10216242837970369_3838873395497

26170235_10216242832890242_4170488691234

26170600_10216242836130323_1382191112981

26173089_10216242830410180_6493778664374

• Like 3

Questfan
1 hour ago, AC1830 said:

Questfan, these are lovely. I've got a larger mountain scene but can't lay my hands on it at the moment. Love the cat/fish. :laugh:

Thank you.

Me too. I found it on a picture and enlarged it to work out the stitching. It was so easy, but still one of my favourites after many years and many pieces.

Edited by Questfan

Lizabeth

AC- Beautiful scenes, and lovely ornaments. What a great way to start this thread!

Julie- Beautiful!

Questfan- Those are gorgeous.

This is my work in progress. It's a Danish shawl. Most of it is knit, except for two rows of crochet (the bright yellow stripe). The pattern is from a shawl dated 1897. A Danish shawl is sort of a combination shawl and jacket. It was originally for women as they worked. It wraps around the chest then ties in the back. It covers the chest and upper arms, leaving the forearms and hands free to work. I'll post additional photos when I finish. The bottom right is how it looks this morning.

Danish-shawl-collage-350x350.jpg

The light orange point is the center back.

• Like 2

Lizabeth
19 minutes ago, BettyHT said:

That looks so cool.  The colors are wonderful, and it is so intriguing that you are doing something so historical.  I would never have thought to do that.  Very creative.  Where did you get the pattern or did you create it yourself?

Thanks, Betty. The pattern is a free pattern from Ravelry.com. Ravelry is a free forum for yarn enthusiasts - knitters, crocheter, and weavers are the big three. The original pattern was written in Danish, and the English translation has omitted some key info. If anyone is interested, I'm happy to share what I figured out about the pattern, on my own and with help from Google translator. It's listed for an Intermediate knitter, although with the sketchy instructions I suggest being at least an Advanced Intermediate or having that level or more advanced knitting help available to minimize the frustration unless you're fluent in Danish.

I discovered the Danish shawl a few years ago. A different pattern was featured in a knitting magazine with some historical background. That pattern has cord ties, while this one has the peaked border that ties. And this one is a bit fancier with the peaked borders, rows of stockinette and also has a top border that makes a shawl collar.

Edited by Cuidadora

BettyHT
38 minutes ago, Cuidadora said:

Thanks, Betty. The pattern is a free pattern from Ravelry.com. Ravelry is a free forum for yarn enthusiasts - knitters, crocheter, and weavers are the big three. The original pattern was written in Danish, and the English translation has omitted some key info. If anyone is interested, I'm happy to share what I figured out about the pattern, on my own and with help from Google translator. It's listed for an Intermediate knitter, although with the sketchy instructions I suggest being at least an Advanced Intermediate or having that level or more advanced knitting help available to minimize the frustration unless you're fluent in Danish.

I discovered the Danish shawl a few years ago. A different pattern was featured in a knitting magazine with some historical background. That pattern has cord ties, while this one has the peaked border that ties. And this one is a bit fancier with the peaked borders, rows of stockinette and also has a top border that makes a shawl collar.

Thank you for the additional info.  That is so cool and I would love to see it done and modeled too!

• Thanks 1

Lizabeth
2 hours ago, Questfan said:

Cuidadora, that shawl is beautiful! I'd love to see the finished job.

2 hours ago, AC1830 said:

What a fascinating design and historical as well.  I love the colors and that you combine knitting and crocheting. Can't wait to see it finished.

1 hour ago, BettyHT said:

Thank you for the additional info.  That is so cool and I would love to see it done and modeled too!

Thank you all. Working on it. Will plan on modeling it when it's done.  :joe:

• Like 1

AC1830