Cheaux

2018 Writing Challenges

Cheaux

Bonanza 2018 Calendar for writing challenges.  Plan ahead!  Get those plot bunnies hopping.

January

• Better Late than NeverGot a 2017 Challenge story lingering in your WIP folder?   Post it by January 31 and still earn the badge.

February

• Ancestry Challenge Several relatives of the Cartwrights have turned up from time to time.  Are there more and what affect do they have on the Cartwrights?  Post by March 15 to earn a badge. 

March

• Poetry Challenge – There is no more appropriate day than this to spotlight Bonanza Brand's talented poets.  Any subject or style permitted.  Post by March 31 to earn badge. 

April

• Camp in the Pines – Spend the month writing in the pines with the Cartwrights.   Enjoy a variety of activities including the weekly campfires.  Expect some twists this year.  Sign-ups will be in March.  Post your story by May 31 to earn badge.

May

• Missing Man ChallengeAdd Adam into any Season 7-14 episode as if he never left the show.  Post by June 15 to earn badge.

June/July

• Ponderosa Paddlewheel Poker Tournament – Words/phrases assigned to a regular deck of cards.  New this year:  table winner prize plus overall tournament winner. 

August

• Cross Over Challenge   Bonanza meets ???   Pick another show (any genre) and involve one or more characters from each show in your story.  Post by September 15 to earn badge. 

September

• 12th Anniversary Ranch House Studios R rated Challenge – Brandsters pick the theme.  Post by September 30 to earn badge. 

October

• Halloween Challenge -- Write an other-worldly story involving one or all of the Cartwights.  Post by October 31 to earn badge.

November

• BoNaNo -- begins November 1 and ends November 30.  The object is to write a minimum of 5,000 words during the month.  Authors may start a new story or add to an existing one.  Badge awarded to those who meet goal.  Edit story in December.  Post any time after January 1.

December

• Advent Calendar -- begins December 1 and ends December 24.  

In addition to the monthly challenges listed above:

Semi-monthly Pinecones (1st & 15th of the month) -- using the prompt provided, write a story of less than 500 words.  Pinecone #1 must be posted by the 15th of the month and Pinecone #2 must be posted by the end of the month to qualify for a badge.

For the last several years, actor birthday challenges have been posted in the VCLS and sponsored by the actor forums (Pernell’s Palace, Lorne’s Lodge, Dan’s Chalet, and Michael’s Mansion).   In 2018, any activities or challenges for those actors will be posted in their respective forum. 

Edited by Cheaux
  • Like 1

mumu74

Some of them are very appealing, but there's always an enormous difference between "I'll will" and "it'll done", but I'll do my best. I love writing, :nod: I just don't have enough time to do all what I want to do, because of that so much to be done :nod: 

Cheaux
17 hours ago, BettyHT said:

Will those who recently joined from Trails be able to participate in the January challenge?  If yes, for which challenges would they be eligible to submit an entry?

Due to their special circumstances, former Trails folks may submit stories for the following challenges:

• Once Upon a Midnight Dreary (aka The Poe Challenge) -- write a dark, moody tale or poem in the Gothic style.  (Poe's themes generally embraced lost love, death, mourning, etc.)
  • World Poetry Day Challenge (any subject or style)
  • Missing Man Challenge (add Adam into any Season 7-14 episode as if he never left)

Only those who were registered for The 2017 Ponderosa Paddlewheel Poker Tournament and 2017 Camp in the Pines are eligible to post their finished story in January 2018.  

To be clear, anyone who posts in January will only receive a "Better Late Than Never" badge, but not the badge awarded for the original challenge.   For example, if I post my Poe story in January, I will receive the BLTN badge, but not the Poe badge.

• Like 1

BettyHT
8 minutes ago, Cheaux said:

Due to their special circumstances, former Trails folks may submit stories for the following challenges:

• Once Upon a Midnight Dreary (aka The Poe Challenge) -- write a dark, moody tale or poem in the Gothic style.  (Poe's themes generally embraced lost love, death, mourning, etc.)
  • World Poetry Day Challenge (any subject or style)
  • Missing Man Challenge (add Adam into any Season 7-14 episode as if he never left)

Only those who were registered for The 2017 Ponderosa Paddlewheel Poker Tournament and 2017 Camp in the Pines are eligible to post their finished story in January 2018.  

To be clear, anyone who posts in January will only receive a "Better Late Than Never" badge, but not the badge awarded for the original challenge.   For example, if I post my Poe story in January, I will receive the BLTN badge, but not the Poe badge.

This is excellent and very generous -- I'm hopeful that a number of the Trailsisters will jump into writing here with the BLTN challenge!

AC1830

Cheaux, thank you for offering those from Trails some options to participate in the first challenge of 2018. There's one other challenge I was wondering about.  On Trails, we had a challenge similar to Brand's BoNaNo.  It was call BTLT (Bonanza Trails Long Tale) and required the author to write a minimum of 6000 words for the month of November.  We had quite a few authors participate and maybe a few who didn't quite get their stories finished on time.  Would this also be considered an eligible challenge for January's BLTN?  

Pennymuffin

Am interested in especially the January challenge. Am new here  so  would appreciate some advice. I have written many stories on other Bonanza sites, all 1000 word ones and all comedy ones(well I like to think theyre funny).. Is this in order to do that here eg, for the January theme? If not, no problem, but don't want to break any rules!.

Cheaux
19 hours ago, AC1830 said:

Cheaux, thank you for offering those from Trails some options to participate in the first challenge of 2018. There's one other challenge I was wondering about.  On Trails, we had a challenge similar to Brand's BoNaNo.  It was call BTLT (Bonanza Trails Long Tale) and required the author to write a minimum of 6000 words for the month of November.  We had quite a few authors participate and maybe a few who didn't quite get their stories finished on time.  Would this also be considered an eligible challenge for January's BLTN?  

I'm sorry, but the January 2018 Better Late Than Never challenge is for last year's Bonanza Brand challenges.   As an accommodation, we are allowing Trails folks to participate by writing a story for one or more of three specific challenges:   Poe, World Poetry and/or Missing Man.

We're flattered that other sites have emulated Brand's BoNaNo over the years, but only 2017 BoNaNo registrants are eligible to post their finished story for this BLTN challenge. 

We hope you will become active participants in the many writing challenges we offer at Brand, including but not limited to our fifth annual BoNaNo in 2018, the annual Poker Tournament, Camp in the Pines, Pinecones, etc.

Again, Welcome to Brand.  You are welcome to post your BTLT story in your new home library--making sure, of course, to follow the instructions in the Author's Guide found on the right side of the BB Library main page.

BluewindFarm
6 hours ago, Pennymuffin said:

Am interested in especially the January challenge. Am new here  so  would appreciate some advice. I have written many stories on other Bonanza sites, all 1000 word ones and all comedy ones(well I like to think theyre funny).. Is this in order to do that here eg, for the January theme? If not, no problem, but don't want to break any rules!.

Pennymuffin, please read the Library Guidelines and the User's Guide - Authors located in the right-hand sidebar on the home page of the Library.  Both will give you plenty of information on how to become an author in the Brand Library.  

Cheaux
6 hours ago, Pennymuffin said:

Your previous stories would not be eligible for the Better Late Than Never January 2018 challenge on Brand.   Once you achieve author status (see Author Guide on right hand side of the BB Library main page), you are free to post your stories in the Short Story Category.   Keep in mind that only one story per week per author can be posted.  If you have many, you may want to contact Bluewindfarm for advice on how to achieve your goals.

Comedies are fun and we look forward to reading them.

Keep writing!

AC1830
2 hours ago, Cheaux said:

I'm sorry, but the January 2018 Better Late Than Never challenge is for last year's Bonanza Brand challenges.   As an accommodation, we are allowing Trails folks to participate by writing a story for one or more of three specific challenges:   Poe, World Poetry and/or Missing Man.

We're flattered that other sites have emulated Brand's BoNaNo over the years, but only 2017 BoNaNo registrants are eligible to post their finished story for this BLTN challenge. 

We hope you will become active participants in the many writing challenges we offer at Brand, including but not limited to our fifth annual BoNaNo in 2018, the annual Poker Tournament, Camp in the Pines, Pinecones, etc.

Again, Welcome to Brand.  You are welcome to post your BTLT story in your new home library--making sure, of course, to follow the instructions in the Author's Guide found on the right side of the BB Library main page.

Thanks Cheaux for the clarification.  I'm looking at one of the offered challenges for January.  I'm excited about several of the challenges this year and hope to participate as RL will permit.  I plan to post my BTLT story in the Library as soon as it is finished.  

You all have been so accommodating and welcoming as we get adjusted, and we thank you for that.  There are going to be many exciting things to look forward to in 2018.  

Cheaux
On 12/28/2017 at 2:34 PM, Cheaux said:

. . . only 2017 BoNaNo registrants are eligible to post their finished story for this BLTN challenge. 

Duh!   I just realized that this statement is inaccurate.   Since BoNaNo 2017 stories are not to be posted until January 1, 2018 or later . . . they will receive the BoNaNo 2017 badge but not the BLTN badge because . . . they're not late!

:booboo:

• Haha 1

Questfan
4 hours ago, Cheaux said:

Duh!   I just realized that this statement is inaccurate.   Since BoNaNo 2017 stories are not to be posted until January 1, 2018 or later . . . they will receive the BoNaNo 2017 badge but not the BLTN badge because . . . they're not late!

:booboo:

Good to know I'm not the only one! It comes from hanging around Joe for too long. :laugh:

Puchi Ann
On 12/30/2017 at 11:28 PM, Questfan said:

Good to know I'm not the only one! It comes from hanging around Joe for too long. :laugh:

Oh, that's right: when in doubt, blame it on Joe.  Adam always does.  :rotfl:

Thanks for providing the year's calendar again, Dee (and thanks, as well, for the slaps up the side of the head when I managed to forget even with that memory aid.)  :faint:

• Like 1

Cheaux