BettyHT

Drawing

BettyHT

I've gotten into charcoal drawing and color pencil drawing.  Recently I got Prismacolor pencils and now I have blending pencils.  I'm learning all sorts of things about drawing with pencils that I never knew before.  Sometimes I mix charcoal drawing with color pencil drawing too.  I found birds to be the easiest to draw and the Cartwrights are the most difficult.  Horses are tough too especially the legs.  Anyone have any secrets to drawing they would like to share.

normal_for__Brand_drawing.jpg

Edited by BettyHT
photobucket issues
  • Like 7

BettyHT
27 minutes ago, southplains said:

Very nice, Betty!!

You are so right about horses' legs being difficult to master. Lots of intricate bone structure and musculature there.

I'm impressed at how well you depicted the Cartwrights!

I've found that the biggest factor in drawing the Cartwrights is the mouth -- if you get that right or close to it, then most people will recognize the character as long as the rest of the features fit the general profile.  Get the mouth wrong, and it doesn't look like them.  I've thrown a bunch of sketches away because I simply couldn't get the mouth to look right.

JoaniePaiute
16 minutes ago, BettyHT said:

I've found that the biggest factor in drawing the Cartwrights is the mouth -- if you get that right or close to it, then most people will recognize the character as long as the rest of the features fit the general profile.  Get the mouth wrong, and it doesn't look like them.  I've thrown a bunch of sketches away because I simply couldn't get the mouth to look right.

Interesting--I would have thought it would be the eyes. But looking more closely at your drawings, I can see that you're right.

BettyHT

I've branched out since that last post.  I've been drawing more birds in flight and hummingbirds are such naturals for that.  I've also started to do more color drawings of people although I still do the charcoal sketches.  I recently did some drawings of dogs for friends and tried one of a cat too.  The dog is Buck -- he's huge but thinks he's a lapdog.  

normal_drawing_x_4.jpg

• Like 4

A_Starry_Night

I love your black and white sketch of an older Pernell Roberts! It's simple without a great deal of shading but all the more expressive for that. 

• Like 1

Inca

Those are lovely drawings, Betty.  The hummingbird one is really pretty.  I too like the simplicity of the older PR drawing, but the coloured Adam also works very well.

And Buck looks a character.  Did you give your friends the animal drawings?  Bet they were pleased if you did.

If you lived over here, you could come on an art holidays, here at our place.  It's what we do here.

• Like 1

BettyHT
4 hours ago, Inca said:

Those are lovely drawings, Betty.  The hummingbird one is really pretty.  I too like the simplicity of the older PR drawing, but the coloured Adam also works very well.

And Buck looks a character.  Did you give your friends the animal drawings?  Bet they were pleased if you did.

If you lived over here, you could come on an art holidays, here at our place.  It's what we do here.

I have sent original drawings to people but usually those are ones of Adam with that person.  Indy has one of her and Adam if she's willing to share it here.  Otherwise I send the drawings by email and people can do with them what they wish.  The bird drawings I have been transferring to totes and giving them away.  They've been fairly popular among my friends and some have really liked the hummingbird ones or requested other birds that I've drawn.  I have also done one with one of the dogs I drew.  I post a lot of my drawings on my facebook page so friends and family know what I've been drawing.

AC1830

You have a real talent for birds.  The hummingbirds are wonderful, so full of color and cheeriness.  You're getting so much better drawing Adam.  I too like the older one of PR.  He remained so handsome as he got older.  The dog is lovely.  I think you've captured his personality quite well. 

• Like 1

mcfair_58

Betty, Great to see you are using Prismacolors.  I actually teach colored pencil using those pencils. If you have any questions about technique, feel free to ask me.  It's all about layering and blending and letting the colors on the first few layers shine through.  You can join my Facebook art group, 'Marla Fair Renderings' and ask questions there too.  Great work!  Marla 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BettyHT

Thank you so much.  For me, it's a lot about practice too.  I started this only a couple of years ago and have had so much to learn.  I'm slowly getting better, but I see such wonderful drawings from others in some groups that I know I have so much more to learn.

mcfair_58
6 minutes ago, BettyHT said:

Thank you so much.  For me, it's a lot about practice too.  I started this only a couple of years ago and have had so much to learn.  I'm slowly getting better, but I see such wonderful drawings from others in some groups that I know I have so much more to learn.

You are most welcome.  I have been drawing since I was about 4 years old and teaching for a couple of decades (yikes!).  I think you joined my group.  If you scroll WAY back on the Facebook page there are some step by steps that might help you with technique.  If you can't find them, just let me know on the page and I will run them again.  Marla

• Like 1

BettyHT

I scrolled down a long way and didn't see techniques.  I do belong to two other groups on Facebook for color pencil drawing so you don't need to find it for me.  I have so many things to practice!  Although as I spend less time writing, I have more time to do that.

mcfair_58
4 minutes ago, BettyHT said:

I scrolled down a long way and didn't see techniques.  I do belong to two other groups on Facebook for color pencil drawing so you don't need to find it for me.  I have so many things to practice!  Although as I spend less time writing, I have more time to do that.

I know, it's a tough call between writing and drawing - not enough hours to do both!  I greatly enjoy your writing as well.  

• Thanks 1